Shipping Prices

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
Eegads, I knew the rates were going to go up but to send a flat rate box out of the country jumped $10!

Anyone else getting bit by the jump?

We charge a flat $5.50 to ship, or have free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Our shipping to the east coast areas hasn't been affected much because we're on the east coast - but to central and western US and to Canada is pretty crazy. I don't want to have to adjust my shipping or my pricing, but may have to at some point. We'll just have to see how it goes.

USPS - Rate A & B boxes

I ship pellets and for the most part I only ship via USPS Priority Mail® Regional Rate Boxes A & B. It is usually the cheapest way for me to ship within the 48 states. You can only order these "rate" boxes (which are free) and pay for shipping via online at usps.com. You cannot pay for the rate box rates at the post office but you can take them there to ship.

I can fit and ship 8 lbs. of pellets in a Rate A Box for $8.90 from the Chicago area to the state of California. Same box from Chicago area to western Ohio ships for $5.44.

Same scenario as above but now using a Rate B Box, I can fit & ship 15 lbs. of pellets and ship to CA for $14.29. Same box & weight will ship to western Ohio for $7.36.

From www.usps.com:

Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes (A, B & C) are available in three sizes and two loading configurations (top loaded or side loaded). Packages reach their destination in 2-3 days within the U.S. Each box is identified by either an "A" or "B" designation.

The Regional Rate Box A (top loading or side loading) has a 15-pound maximum weight limit. Side Loading measures 12-13/16 inches x 10-15/16 inches x 2-3/8 inches (inside dimensions) 13-1/16 inches x 11-1/16 inches x 2-1/2 inches (outside dimensions), and Top Loading measures 10 inches x 7 inches x 4-3/4 inches(inside dimensions) 10-1/8 inches x 7-1/8 inches x 5 inches(outside dimensions).

The Regional Rate Box B (top loaded or side loaded) has a 20-pound maximum weight limit. Side Loading measures15-7/8 inches x 14-3/8 inches x 2-7/8 inches (inside dimensions) 16-1/4 inches x 14-1/2 inches x 3 inches (outside dimensions), and Top Loading measures 12 inches x 10-1/4 inches x 5 inches (inside dimensions) 12-1/4 inches x 10-1/2 inches x 5-1/2 inches (outside dimensions).

The Regional Rate Box C (top loaded) has a 25-pound maximum weight limit. Side Loading measures 14-3/4 inches x 11-3/4 inches x 11-1/2 inches (inside dimensions) 15 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches (outside dimensions).

I use Regional Rate A, but haven't used the Rate B boxes before. I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks for the info Sandi! :D

I was going to ship some dust in a Regional B box from Las Vegas to Texas and the rate went up from $5.96 to $13.25. I have a questions since the clerk by me couldn't help me to ship a box from a different city is it by the label or where you ship it from? I told the clerk it should be where you ship it from not the from address label.

No post office employee could answer any questions I had regarding the Rate A & B boxes, in fact, when I first started using them over a year ago, one post office employee tried to reject it. He kept telling me that it was going to come back to me or that the receiver was going to have to pay the difference in price since I was paying so low. That never happened.

The cost depends on how far it has to go from where you are shipping from and you can only do this on-line (quote & purchasing a shipping label).

The price is the same from CA or NV to TX in a Regional B box. I was going to ship it from Las Vegas when the rate was only $5.96 to TX compared to $12.74 from CA to TX last week to save the person shipping cost.

Is standard post suppose to be the same as parcel post? Parcel post was a lot cheaper too.

Hmmm... I just priced out 15 lbs going from say Las Vegas to Amarillo, TX in a Rate A box and it came to $7.48. Rate B box came to $11.16.

Shipping with Rate A & B boxes works for me because they still treat it like priority flat rate boxes with shipping time at 2-3 days and free delivery confirmation.

The regional box price also seems to vary with what type of account you have and the volume of stuff you ship.

Ronda uses regional A for almost everything except the east cost.

We're currently looking into Fedex shiprush but it doesn't appear that they give you any sort of pricing until after you buy the label, anyone ever used it?

Yeah, I'm more than a little frustrated. I have lost a good amount of money this past week on shipping. I quoted people on the regional boxes what it usually is, and every single package came to at least $1-$2 more than before.

Back