Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1
Default How do I treat my chinchillas ringworm??

I got my chinchilla around 3 weeks ago and I started to notice a missing patch of fur by her nose. I kinda disregarded it but then it started spreading and after a little research I came to the conclusion she has ringworm. I bought Tinactin dust and Iíve been putting 1 tbs for 1 cup of dust in her bath for about a week but it seems like itís just getting worse. Her ears are starting to lose fur and they look a little scaly. Iíve been seeing that a lot of people use flowers of sulphur in the dust but I canít find it. Instead I found something called MSM that claims to be organic sulphur. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use this for my chin? Is it the same as flowers of sulphur?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Flower of sulphur and organic sulphur (MSM) are not the same thing, FOS is powdered sulphur rock, where as MSM is a compound of sulphur and other elements. FOS is used externally for skin issues, MSM is generally eaten for pain and inflammation issues (among other things).

You may need something stronger then just what you can get over the counter though. Sometime topical anti-fungal ointment and/or oral anti-fungal medicine is needed from the vet. It does take weeks to treat ringworm, but it should be getting better with treatment not worse.

Have you deep cleaned the cage (ideally with bleach) already? I think you need to do that once a week until the fungal infection is gone. Also replace or clean/disinfect everything in the cage, anything wood needs to just be tossed out and replaced since it can't be properly cleaned. Lastly, are you changing the dust bath after every bath? You need offer a clean bath every time until the infection is gone too, otherwise you are reinfecting her every time you give her the bath.

Also keep in mind that ringworm is contagious to humans and other animals, so make sure you wash after handing the chin or her stuff.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM United States

Okay thank you! And I threw away all her wood toys and I have been washing her fleece every other day in bleach. I always wash my hands after handling her, I'm afraid I'm going to catch it too. I have been using Lysol to clean the cage about once a week is that enough?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 PM United States

Okay thank you that means I need to buy FOS. Im going to call the local pet stores and see if they have it. I have been cleaning her cage weekly with Lysol is that enough? I also wash her fleece every other day with bleach and all of her wood has been tossed. I do change the dust everyday and I've been making sure to wash my hands every time I touch her or anything in her cage.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Hmm.. I'm not a 100% positive but I'm pretty sure Lysol/Pinesol etc could be toxic to chins. I know it can be toxic to some pets just walking across a mopped floor and then licking paws. A weekly thorough cage scrub with bleach and rinsing well with water would be best. Vinegar and water cage wipe outs should be safe for in between weekly bleaching.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 PM United States

First post, but I've been lurking for a while. Just wanted to mention when our chinchilla got ringworm we got FOS on amazon. Humco Sulfur Powder Sublimed was the brand name. I used 1 tablespoon of sulfur per cup of dust while he was infection, now we use 1 teaspoon per cup as a preventative. Within 2 weeks his fur started growing back. I hope it clears up quickly.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
First post, but I've been lurking for a while. Just wanted to mention when our chinchilla got ringworm we got FOS on amazon. Humco Sulfur Powder Sublimed was the brand name. I used 1 tablespoon of sulfur per cup of dust while he was infection, now we use 1 teaspoon per cup as a preventative. Within 2 weeks his fur started growing back. I hope it clears up quickly.
I just ordered the humco sulfur powder and it should arrive next week. She seems to keep losing fur even though Iíve been giving her dust baths everyday. It seems that she doesnít even want to take a dust bath anymore. I notice her itching a lot and biting her own fur, I see a ton of it around her cage and Iím really worried.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 AM Ukraine

Hey there. I just cured ringworm about 2 weeks ago. its ok that chin loses fur in some places. It will be bald there till ringworm cured.

So dust bath with anti fungal bath is good but it wont cure it! You need anti fungal drops for people (ask vet about effective meds that wont hurt your chin). 1 day you give bath, next day - apply meds with Q-tip to every bald spot and edges of this spots.
After 6 days of this treatment you take 1 day break and go for another 6 days (3baths + 3 med applications). In about a months you will see small hair growing, apply meds till it possible and u have bald spots!

P.S. dont use anti fungal gel or cream. Drops/liquid is more effective and applying better
P.S.S im from Ukraine, cant advice meds but i used *drops called Exoderil https://aptekapro.com/exoderil-1-external-solution-30ml
I got 10ml bottle, it was enough.

When you apply meds to its nose, chin would like to lick it, its ok, no bad aftermath (using this exoderil)
Change dust with anti fungal in it, after every 3rd use
Old 02-09-2019, 01:54 AM United States

I tried to put iodine on the spot by her nose but she wouldnít let me. Iíve only had her for a little less than a month now and I think sheís still working her way up to trusting me fully. The fur by her nose is growing back but she still has a bald spot behind her ear. Iím not sure why itís clearing up in some places but not the other. The humco sulfur powder should be arriving tomorrow so Iíll see if that helps with her ears.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM Ukraine

We got our chin for 1 month too, before ringworm ďarrivedĒ. Its not the best time to build relationship with chin. Just handle it and apply meds to all bald spots. Once or 2 per week we gave some crunchy treats. It helped to get to nose easier, other spots shouldnt be much problem.

Our chin doesnít like to be held, but now its hair is halway grown