Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Hedgehog Forums > Hedgehog New Owner Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hedgehog New Owner Questions If you are a new hedgie owner, this is the forum for you!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM United States
Lexie

Chinchillas: 3
Hedgehogs: Soon
Default Hedgehog Questions

Hi, I have a couple questions about getting hedgehogs. I already know the care that goes into a hedgehog but I can't decide if I should get one. Or two. Or three. Lol. The reason I am conflicted is because I have 2 dogs currently and 3 chinchillas. I can never have just one of the animals I have. The dogs aren't a problem we already established that. But would I have too many animals if I got two or three hedgehogs? I have enough space in my house but would the hogs be affected if they shared a room with chinchillas? Don't worry, they have their respected habitats a critter nation for the chinchillas and I would keep like an enclose for the hogs. Like 5 foot by 7 foot on the ground but with fleece, a fence sort of thing, an upstairs level with a not steep ramp. The chinchillas have the basement because the temperature is easy to control. We would put the hogs in there. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3

I had my chinchillas and hedgehogs in the same room with no issues. They were on opposite sides of a rather large room, so it worked out okay. As far as it being 'too many' animals' goes, that all depends on how you feel about it. They all need your attention and care, so don't get more than you can reasonably take care of.

Now, I would like to say that hedgehogs and chinchillas have different temperature requirements, and from experience I can tell you keeping them in the same room can be a pain for that reason.

I also need to ask, does your basement get natural light, or do you have a light on during the day so your chins have a natural light cycle? This is important for chinchillas and hedgehogs.