Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Chat
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Chat Post pictures or stories of your chin's antics here!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM United States

Default Chinchilla personality quirks

One of the things I love most about chinchillas is their intelligence and personality. I've never had pets with such distinct personalities and love hearing about others chinparents experiences.

So what are some unique things that makes your Chin who they are? Do they do anything weird or special that you appreciate?

Rin (my boy) is a neat freak. He stores all his toys in the same spot behind one of the stairs in his cage. He will pick one out, play with it a bit, then put it back once done. He also will not gnaw on something to the point where it begins to look shabby or is in danger of breaking. He always gnaws so that each edge is still even. Like those triangle lava bites, he will perfectly maintain the triangle shape, it just get's smaller.

Rin loves to watch tv and video games. He will sit on my shoulder and watch, soon as a commercial break hits he turns his head towards mine and happy chatters. Soon as the commercials are over his attention snaps back to the tv and he stops talking. As if he somehow knows the difference between commercials and a tv program.

During playtime his favorite thing to do is flip over a pet bed and crawl around with it covering over him. He can't see where he's going so he tends to bump into things and people.

Sorry for the long ramble. I'd love to hear about your own chinchildren too.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

I wish my Abbey was a neat freak like your first boy! She's the complete opposite! She carries her toys and sticks around everywhere. Every time I vacuum out her poops and clean her cage, I put all of her toys in a little cat bowl and as soon as I'm done, she gets them all out and tosses them everywhere!

She also enjoys watching the tv! She'll sit up on her hind legs with one little paw on her cage bars and watch for hours (or until I go poke her little tummy!)

She has a habit of pushing around her pellet bowl too. If it's almost empty, she'll push it towards the edge of the shelf and make it fall all the way down to the bottom level. It makes a terribly loud noise and always scares me! Naughty chin.

She also has this wooden house that she sleeps in, and it has to be facing in a certain direction at a certain angle for her to use it. If I ever move it, she'll push and pull and turn it around until it's just perfect. When she gets mad, she'll flip the house over. She can never flip it back over though, so she ends up sleeping in it upside down. :P

I swear she knows what I'm thinking all the time; she can be a little prissy princess. :P I love her to death though.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 AM Hong Kong

Chinchillas: 4

No way, your chin needs to have classes to teach my chins, mine are like destroyers of the world, they are sooooooo messy, I am like a full time maid, I love being their maid though, hee hee.
But I agree with u on the diff btw commercial and tv, they can so tell the difference between them, I always used to sneak clean their bottom floor when soapies are on, but I'm never fast enough, when the commercials hit, I get bombarded with escapees trying to fly out. It's really fascinating why they can tell.

The Cleaning Lady
And my two handsomes: Gumby & Elmo
And my 2 princess: Muffin & Toffee
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 4
Hedgehogs: 1

Both my girls that have gotten hand feed like tv... If I don't have it on while feeding it's like the end of the world! Lol
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM United States

I just posted how gus gets moody when I put him back in cage after playtime, but he also loves to watch tv I dont know about the commercial thing but he loves it, Actualy I was wondering if this is normal or does anyone elses chins do this, when I let him out for playtime he runs(hops) all over the living room and hallway but I notice that sometimes when hes jumping while hes running almost bouncing around in mid air he shakes and twists his head and body to the left and right real quick like and sometimes he does a double bouce thing where he jumps up and right when he comes down to the floor he lauches up again like a double trampoline bounce its too funny
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM United States
~+bringer of yummy+~

Chinchillas: 2

Chefscott, thats a super happy bounce.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM United States

Joey tries to talk to me (or mock me maybe). He will move his mouth when I talk to him, then stop when I stop..start again when I do and then stop again when I do. It's hilarious! Also, when I do homework on the floor, if he thinks he is not getting enough attention he will run off with my papers or try with all his might to pull my book away from me. He'll never chew on them, he's just trying to get them away from me!

Joey also chews on sticks a certain way..he gnaws the bark off just like many people eat corn on the cob, down the long edge & then flip it around.

I never knew how much personality I was getting into! haha
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM United States

Yeah when gus starts doing the double bounce and body twist thing or the super happy bounce as symphle put it, I always say out loud to him "oh boy here comes RODEO gus, i love him
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM United States

Chefscott, what you're describing sounds like what people call "popcorning" to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YJJgajmU#t=18s
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM United States

Thats so funny jhowell28. My Chin, Bandit does that same thing. He moves his mouth every time I speak to him. I'm not sure why he's doing though haha.