Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Polls
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Polls Do you want to start a poll? Here's the place to do it.

View Poll Results: How did/would you dispose of your animal's dead body?
Use vet services to dispose of it 9 5.20%
Bury them on my property 108 62.43%
Cremate them and keep the ashes (or scatter them) 44 25.43%
Bury them at a pet cemetery 0 0%
Other- please explain 12 6.94%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM United States
Super Moderator

Chinchillas: 2

The only pet I've had pass away so far was my dog, and I had him cremated.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM United States
Forever Weird

Chinchillas: 1

All my pets have been cremated except fish (flushed) and hermit crabs (buried). In general I am very against burial for animals AND humans, but the hermit crabs were too large to flush, so...
The only pet's cremains I have kept have been my closest kitty, he is in a beautiful carved wooden box. I'm with the other poster who said if I kept all the cremains I would be overrun.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 AM United States
RavenousDeadlyZombieChins

Chinchillas: 60+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
For right now (and some people won't like it) the chins go out with the trash, unless they are someone who is extremely special to me. I just can't bury each and every one that passes here, my yard would be filled with animals. When they are up the farm they'll most likely go on to feed the wild animals like the rest of farm critters.
Same here. It's just not feasible to pay $100/chin for group cremation or find the time to bury each and every one. The larger the amount of animals, the higher the mortality rate and that is just the unfortunate truth. I wish I could bury each and every one of my pets that pass or afford for them to be cremated, but reality says I can't do this. It would only take a few years to fill up the small backyard we have and I need to save my chinchilla fund for living, breathing chinchillas that may need surgery or other medical costs.

RDZC Ranch
Proud ECBC member
Empress Chinchilla National Director-at-Large
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 AM United States
Barb

Chinchillas: 40 +

I bury the small animals(chins,cats and small dogs). My large dog, I cremated and then buried the ashes under a tree. I will probably do the same for my current retriever when it is his time. I have been where I am now (3 acres of land) for 40 years so I have had quite a few animals during that time.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 AM United States

Chinchillas: 90+-

*cough*
Some people chose to memoralize their pets by stuffing them. I'm not one of those, but I do believe in saving the pelts.
I know someone who was advertising making tiny teddy bear plushies out of the furs to remember beloved pets by. I perfer that idea to keeping an urn of ashes.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 AM United States

Chinchillas: Many

Spencer my cat is cremated and will be planted with me somewhere one day. The chins are buried on my property.

MCBA member
Norwoodchinchillas.com

"V"
Old 12-30-2010, 02:09 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Small animals get buried, unless they had to be put down at the vet, in which case the vet usually takes care of the body.

When my horse died suddenly this past April, I had to have the rendering truck come and get him. It was my only option since burial was impossible.

I've never had an animal cremated.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM United States

Chinchillas: 5

When I was a kid we used to bury our hamsters, ferret etc. Now I have my critters cremated. I have Chili the chinchilla in a nice little blue urn on a shelf next to his favorite chew toy and my beloved kitty Soleil is on a shelf next to one of her favorite toys along with cards from the vet's office. She had a lot of medical problems and had a special relationship with the vet, so the cards are special to me. I also have a memory box for Soleil that has a lock of her fur, pics and her, and her collar in it. When I go, Soleil's urn will be going in my coffin.

Forever in my heart Soleil and Chili

Licensed Wildlife Caregiver volunteering with orphaned and injured raccoons, visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Do...y/224915214598
Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 PM United States
I <3 dustbunnies

Chinchillas: 1+

I've done a little of everything...I have put small/stillborn kits out with the trash I have buried older ones and I have saved a couple in the freezer who I would like to have pelts to remember. I don't think Id have any of the chins cremated - I would probably have the dogs cremated. Haven't crossed that bridge yet with the dogs. Just flushed a fish yesterday - poor Hocus lol. I also don't want to be buried...I dont like the idea that my body would rot and tree roots might come into my coffin...I'd rather have my ashes spread in several of my favorite places.

Boxer: Lucian and Raja 03/01-05/12
Boston terrier: Lola
Dachshund: Oscar

I sell Purina Rabbit Chow Show!

Visit my website www.freewebs.com/volunteerchinchillas
Old 01-02-2011, 04:37 PM United States
NWI Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 150+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZCRanch View Post
Same here. It's just not feasible to pay $100/chin for group cremation or find the time to bury each and every one. The larger the amount of animals, the higher the mortality rate and that is just the unfortunate truth. I wish I could bury each and every one of my pets that pass or afford for them to be cremated, but reality says I can't do this. It would only take a few years to fill up the small backyard we have and I need to save my chinchilla fund for living, breathing chinchillas that may need surgery or other medical costs.
Same here. I did have one rescue, which was special to me, cremated, but the other chins that have died here have been wrapped up in an old towel (for some decency, I guess, we've always just done it that way) and go out with the trash. When my original four chins die, they will be cremated as well, but for the others, I'd rather spend the money that cremation would cost on vet bills for the next rescue that comes in. I would bury (rather than throw away), but I live in an apartment at the moment, and it's illegal to bury anything where my parents live.

Owned by:
Wayyyy too many chins to even try to list...
Shelties: Kailey, Misty, & Sky
Prairie Dogs: Shani & Summer

I am not fat. I am a blocky female, perfect for showing and breeding.