Oxbow Natural Science Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devynthecatwithsocks

I have been looking for healthy yummy treats for my chinchilla for a while since the ones she has now arnt healthy at all (Simple reward) I came across Oxbow (which I trust) Natural Science treats. They act as supplements but are a favorite among chinchillas. The ones I had in cart are Multi vitamin, digestive support, and skin and coat. there are a whole bunch more such as joint support, critical care, and urinary tract support which i dont need. Most if not all of these include rosemary. Some include flaxseed and timothy hay. I was wondering are these really are good for chinchillas?

I'm not finding any Oxbow Natural Science "treats", just supplements, the Simply Rewards are the Oxbow treat line. Chins really don't need supplements unless something is wrong with them. If they are healthy and you are feeding a good quality pellet only food, and hay the chin should not need anything else. If there is something lacking in the food you are feeding you are better off switching to a good quality food. At best they wont do any real harm, at worst they could throw the nutritional balance off and you end up with a whole mess of health problems. All of them are really more for if your chin has a specific problem, they are not treats, just like chewable antacid tablets aren't treats for humans, they come in favored so they don't taste bad, but that doesn't make them a treat.

I don't know if you just don't read replies or what, but you were suggested several safe treat options already. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49366 Another option is certain herbs, like those sold on Fuzzies Kingdom. Chinchilla's have sensitive systems, so you are better off keeping everything as simple as possible rather then going with overly processed preservative filled treats. Pretty much all treats sold in pet stores are not really healthy for chins. If you just refuse to get anything other then commercial treats though, looking over the Oxbow Simply Rewards line, the only one that looks like it might not be that bad is the Timothy treats, but I'd limit it to one a day at most (the bag says up to 4 a day).

I do look at replys and i have rosehips in my cart to buy i just came across these and I was curious so i asked

Oh ok, just the way you made it sound was that you still didn't know of any safe treats you can give and were still looking for something safe to give. Unfortunately most commercial pet supply companies seem to still either lump all rodents together, or at best lump rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas together. :banghead: That is why you are unlikely to find any pet store treats suggested. At least they have gotten better with the actual foods available, I'm not sure Oxbow was even an option when I first got chins. I had to special order in Mazuri from a livestock feed store, pet stores only sold the crappy treat/junk food filled chinchilla foods like Kaytee and VitaKraft/Sunseed (use to be two companies).

Yeah Oxbow is great. I actually used to trust Kaytee till I found out how unsafe their stuff is. Now Oxbow is the majority of her food and toys that she consumes. I have Oxbow essentials for food. Oxbow Western Timothy Hay and Orchard grass hay, her grass woven huts are all Oxbow. I think the only thing Kaytee I have are the lava ledges since I can't seem to find any other company that makes them. This is actually my pet wishlist on Amazon of things that I will get her in the future or hope to get. I have some dog, bird, and gecko stuff on their to.
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/...wishlist_lists_3?_encoding=UTF8&type=wishlist

Oh ok, just the way you made it sound was that you still didn't know of any safe treats you can give and were still looking for something safe to give. Unfortunately most commercial pet supply companies seem to still either lump all rodents together, or at best lump rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas together. :banghead: That is why you are unlikely to find any pet store treats suggested. At least they have gotten better with the actual foods available, I'm not sure Oxbow was even an option when I first got chins. I had to special order in Mazuri from a livestock feed store, pet stores only sold the crappy treat/junk food filled chinchilla foods like Kaytee and VitaKraft/Sunseed (use to be two companies).
Doing research and came across this thread and just had to say that I also remember special ordering Mazuri in 25 lb bags to feed stores. :D

Back