Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Classified Section > Craigslist ads (and others)
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Craigslist ads (and others) If you find an ad concerning on Craigslist (or other sites), please post it here.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 AM United States

Chinchillas: 2
Default Chins in need of serious help in Tampa, FL

Was browsing through craigslist ads when I come across this horrible situation in Tampa, FL

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/for/5423394436.html

In case the ad is removed or cannot be accessed, it reads as follows:

"Breeding pair of Chinchillas with one week old baby for sale. White female and dark gray male chinchillas both are about three years old. No papers! The female usually has two or three babies each time but this time she only had one white baby. She has a history of having white babies. 70% of all babies have been white. They live together in the large cage except when the female has babies. Easy money to be made on these proven breeders. Also comes with two cages and supplies... Chinchilla"

These poor chinchillas are a M/F pair, housed together in a one level (what appears to be) rabbit cage very similar to this one: http://www.cool-small-pets.com/image...abbit-cage.jpg, with only one ledge and an empty cardboard beer container to chew on. The ledge is plastic as is the hay holder. The "large cage" the ad poster mentions is the rabbit cage. The small cage looks like a large hamster cage. There are no papers to speak of and yet this person is breeding these chinchillas. They are asking $500 for the whole set up and I would take them right now if I had the means to, but sadly I am a college student and with my two boys cannot take on any more animals in my dorm, not to mention I can't afford the $500 fee. I may ask some of my friends if they may be able to help me rescue these guys but I wanted to reach out here as well and see if anyone else is better able. The worst thing I can think of is someone equally as ignorant about chinchilla care purchases these sorry souls and continues to breed them without understanding the implications.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 AM Canada
Chin-sational

Chinchillas: 1

Oh wow These chins are all about the money. I don't see any love or care being put into them. The poor female, especially!!
I hope someone in the area can reach out. Hoping they find a good home.

Elijah the Chinchilla
3 Year old Standard Gray
Loved & Spoiled since 11.14.14

Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minccino View Post
Oh wow These chins are all about the money. I don't see any love or care being put into them. The poor female, especially!!
I hope someone in the area can reach out. Hoping they find a good home.
I am very very close to contacting the owner and asking about them, maybe seeing if I can get the price down a bit and then seeing if a friend or two wants to help me out with a rescue. I can't stand the thought of them being there any longer, and I do live on a very pet friendly college campus so I'm sure I can get some people to help me out as we all love animals here!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:12 PM Canada
Chin-sational

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmccoll13 View Post
I am very very close to contacting the owner and asking about them, maybe seeing if I can get the price down a bit and then seeing if a friend or two wants to help me out with a rescue. I can't stand the thought of them being there any longer, and I do live on a very pet friendly college campus so I'm sure I can get some people to help me out as we all love animals here!
Keep us updated!!

Elijah the Chinchilla
3 Year old Standard Gray

Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 PM United States

That is so sad the poor chins

Any news on what is happening with them?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 AM Canada
Chin-sational

Any updates? Its looks like they're still available.

Elijah the Chinchilla
3 Year old Standard Gray

Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM United States

Unfortunately no I made a few attempts to contact the owner with no results, and since there was no actual contact info in the ad I was unable to find an efficient way to contact them. Last I checked the ad was taken down, and I can only hope the chins were not sold to an equally as ignorant owner.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:33 PM United States

UPDATE: The ad has been reposted with new photos (unfortunately not showing the full cage they are being kept in but you can see they're less than ideal conditions) Asking price reduced to $450. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay that much for them and I wouldn't have the room to take them for long anyways but hopefully someone can help them :/

New ad: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/for/5484045284.html

Does look like the poster still failed to put any reliable contact info so I will try to reach out again but not expecting much.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 AM United States

I canít see the post, but Iím willing to pay for just the chinchillaís if I could get her/him to lower it. I cannot pay that much, but I have multiple cages that they could go in, and extremely comfortable and good places. I just canít afford that much, and I could give less about the cage. One chin could fit in a two level of that one..!! That just may be me, but still..