Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin New Owner Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin New Owner Questions If you are a new chin owner, this is the forum for you!

Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 AM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 1
Question Getting another chin?

I've had my chinchilla, Fluffy, for two weeks. He is my first chinchilla and he has settled in really well. We were advised by the owner to get him alone as he viciously attacked another chinchilla when he was very small. I want to buy another chin at some point because I don't want him to feel lonely, I spend a lot of time with him and he hasn't showed any abnormal behaviours but I feel bad when I'm not there for him since he's alone. I don't want to buy another chinchilla and have him attack it. (If the worst happens what should I do?) I don't know when the best time it is to see how he interacts with another chin, he is 6 months old.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM Canada

If he has a history of attacking other chins, you should never home him with another. Some chins can be pretty solitary.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

I agree if he as attacked before, I'm guessing "vicious" as in blood drawn, he is likely to do it again. If you want a second chin you would need to house it separate and not have them out together. They can probably be caged in the same room though (after the 30 day quarantine period), having a chin neighbor can give them someone to chat chinchilla with, even if they don't live or play together.

Even with chins that have never attacked another, there is no way to know if two chins will get along before you get them together. It's just like taking two random humans and putting them together, not everyone likes everyone else. It also has more to do with personality then with age if they will get along.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze