Pans - metal, plastic, wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renier

Hello everyone,
I am an exciting guy who will be getting his chins in 4 days. In my country we can not get ready-made cages. For rats yes, but my chins will have a three-story palace. Now I had to resort to getting a big parrot cage. I have to somehow now get floors / pans for the three levels. I will add some jumping ledges as well, but I do want three solid levels.

They must cover the whole floor, and then a corner opening for them to move up and down the levels.
It is unlikely that I will find any kind of pan matching my specs / size along with a bit of a "lip".

I am left to my own devices. I can start with a slab of pine wood I guess, but it won't have a lip. Plastic and steel will be a mission to cut to size and include the corner opening.

Anyway - I am sure you know what I mean.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
Renier

Exciting news!

Strongly recommend you do not use any plastic whatsoever in your cage; chinchillas will chew on it and if they swallow any it could cause an obstruction and lead to death. If you use wood make sure it is kiln dried pine, aspen is fine too, definitely no cedar or non-kiln dried pine/aspen. Some woods are safe for chins, others are not, make sure whatever wood you put in is safe before hand. Metal is generally fine, though galvanized or stainless is all you should use(Galvanized will hold pee odors over time), don't use other kinds of metal as some can be toxic as well.

Thank you Jaysburn,
I am going the pine route as an interim, but I have sent specs to a metal works place to see what they can cup with.
Renier

Back