Zilla Heat Lamps

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumor

OmNom Amazon
Hi there! Im in the process of moving my little hedgie from his current aquariam (eep) to a wire cage with a solid bottom. Hes currently residing in a room that ive always heated with a space heater -- But id really like to change over to a CHE.

Ive done some research on the forums and it seems like both the Zoo med brooder lamps, and the zilla are acceptable options.

So far id really like to go ahead and purchase these - but i just want to make sure im not barking up the wrong tree. If someone has a minute to look these over - Id really appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11403-Controller-Temperature-500-watt/dp/B0018CLYNG/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11596-P...39127&sr=1-1&keywords=zilla+ceramic+heat+dome

--- Not so sure about the actual dome light and what id need specifically, and if it would be able to use the right kind of bulb. I would think up to 150 would be a safe bet. I know the light is a nono, but im hoping it could use one that doesnt. Id really like to stick with the zilla ones, as ive read good reviews for them (and they happen to be on sale) - if this lamp is okay, could someone maybe recommend an actual bulb to go with?

The room my hedgie would be in probably stays around 68degrees - so im wondering what wattage as well would be recommended. Sorry for the pileup of questions, just new to the emitters - and want to make sure i dont make any mistakes at my hedgies expense. Looking to place an order in the next few days... Thanks so much!

** Just wanted to add that his new wire cage is approx 27x15 x15... in case that makes a difference

Last edited:

Yes, a good choice. The 500w allows you to plug in more than one lamp & CHE in case you find that one is not sufficient. Technically, it there are places for three, but that seems like overkill. I've used 2 max. Another good feature is that you set the dial and it stays there, so, if power goes out for a bit, you don't have to re-set it.

A fine brand. Should serve you well. I'd recommending using a 10" dome instead of the 8.5" one. It'll help spread the heat a bit better. Fluker's is also good.

--- Not so sure about the actual dome light and what id need specifically, and if it would be able to use the right kind of bulb. I would think up to 150 would be a safe bet. I know the light is a nono, but im hoping it could use one that doesnt. Id really like to stick with the zilla ones, as ive read good reviews for them (and they happen to be on sale) - if this lamp is okay, could someone maybe recommend an actual bulb to go with?

In general, either 100w or 150w CHE's do well. I prefer the 150's but can't always find them, so I have plenty of 100's in rotation.
To continue the amazon theme, something like this would be great: http://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Ceram...92994289&sr=1-5&keywords=ceramic+heat+emitter
Though I really prefer these: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Black-Infrared-Ceramic-Emitters?sc=2&category=13
They seem to last longer and heat things a bit better. Not sure why or how common my experience is.

I noticed you said "light" - keep in mind that these do not give off light; just heat. And that's what you want... for there to be heat without light. Else you'll have a major problem at night since hedgies will need it to be dark, yet consistently warm.

The room my hedgie would be in probably stays around 68degrees - so im wondering what wattage as well would be recommended. Sorry for the pileup of questions, just new to the emitters - and want to make sure i dont make any mistakes at my hedgies expense. Looking to place an order in the next few days... Thanks so much!

** Just wanted to add that his new wire cage is approx 27x15 x15... in case that makes a difference
With those dimensions, and a room temp of 68, a 100 or 150 should be just fine. Consider getting one of each and see what works best (if you notice a difference at all). Like regular light bulbs, they can burn out and it's nice to have a spare... it's not like it'll go bad sitting there unused for a year or two.

Back