Ledges

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
25 ledges cut and i still have another 3ft 2X6 and 3ft 2X4. Next we need to put the screws and washers on. Later this week we are going to get more wood to make hideaway houses for all of them.
We paid under $10 for all of the wood got it cheap because theywere the cracked or bent sections, in total it will probably be between $15 and $20 bucks to make all of them. So in total I will have about 35 ledges for about $20. Better to make your own. It's cheaper, you can customize how you want and it's fun to do :) Will be making more soon though :)
Hope my chins like them as much as i do! :)

I use screws and a countersink mechanism by predrilling and then using a smaller screw so it falls beneath the wood and chins can't reach 'em. The chins are pretty good as far as knowing eating or chewing metal won't get them far, so as long as you screw in as flush as possible to the wood, should be okay. As far as coloring, kool aid and food coloring is safe.

Elmers non toxic wood glue!

I use food coloring to color my wood.

Where did you buy the wood? I've never seen those sections at my HD and Lowes.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Menards is... None of those around here.

My wood always costs a good $20-30. I get two different sizes, one for the ledge and one for the poo guard.

Wow that's a lot! Great price too.
It must be fun making all that stuff and seeing them enjoy it afterwards! :)

Wow, quite a find. I'm building shelves now too but unfortunately our home depot had a very small seconds section and it was all treated wood. :( Still a lot cheaper to DIY plus I hate waiting on mail.

For our hidey house I tried cutting grooves and tabs into the wood so it fits together like a puzzle piece. Still going to need some elmers wood glue though. My problem at the moment is whittling away a door effectively on this thick pine.

Going to have to check Menards, my HD & Lowes only have $$$ poplar or select pine.... I just spent $80 and only have 5 boards to show for it, my only other option is "whitewood" and I was told it MIGHT be safe, it also might not. Nothing is just labeled pine that is less expensive. Good thing I love my furballs, I spent more on their lumber then on what I used to build some of my own furniture!

25 ledges cut and i still have another 3ft 2X6 and 3ft 2X4. Next we need to put the screws and washers on. Later this week we are going to get more wood to make hideaway houses for all of them.
We paid under $10 for all of the wood got it cheap because theywere the cracked or bent sections, in total it will probably be between $15 and $20 bucks to make all of them. So in total I will have about 35 ledges for about $20. Better to make your own. It's cheaper, you can customize how you want and it's fun to do :) Will be making more soon though :)
Hope my chins like them as much as i do! :)

That's great!

Going to have to check Menards, my HD & Lowes only have $$$ poplar or select pine.... I just spent $80 and only have 5 boards to show for it, my only other option is "whitewood" and I was told it MIGHT be safe, it also might not. Nothing is just labeled pine that is less expensive. Good thing I love my furballs, I spent more on their lumber then on what I used to build some of my own furniture!

The wood is a bit expensive. Shouldnt be $80 expensive tho. It also depends on what size you get. I usually get the (common) 6" wide boards. Usually around $10-15. The select pine is usually sold as a single board. Where as the poplar is sold by the foot. Which store is better will depend on your local area. Where i used to live, lowes had better quality. Where i am now, HD does.

Side note tho. If you ever are using poplar wooden dowels you will likely have to go to lowes for that, as no HD iv been to has them. They only carry oak dowels, and an unnamed wood dowel. Which... im not using. And if your ever looking for sand paper, the highest grade (400something), its in the paint section not the wood.

The wood is a bit expensive. Shouldnt be $80 expensive tho. It also depends on what size you get. I usually get the (common) 6" wide boards. Usually around $10-15. The select pine is usually sold as a single board. Where as the poplar is sold by the foot. Which store is better will depend on your local area. Where i used to live, lowes had better quality. Where i am now, HD does.

Side note tho. If you ever are using poplar wooden dowels you will likely have to go to lowes for that, as no HD iv been to has them. They only carry oak dowels, and an unnamed wood dowel. Which... im not using. And if your ever looking for sand paper, the highest grade (400something), its in the paint section not the wood.

You're right about finding the highest grade sandpaper in the paint section. Learned this lesson the hard way. And yes, for $80, the wood is quite expensive.

how to choose the right sandpaper for your work ?

You're right about finding the highest grade sandpaper in the paint section. Learned this lesson the hard way. And yes, for $80, the wood is quite expensive.

All of these are straight because the things are not mention equally on the previous carb

Back