Chin recently passed from Dental Surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three Chins, previously four... they used to be housed males together, females together..

now my male is alone... and I am unwilling to house my male and females together due to unwanted pregnancies (not knowing their backgrounds as they were all rescues) I am also unwilling to castrate my male Chinchilla due to the possible risks...

I'm looking for advise on how to keep the boy who is now housed alone happy, healthy and entertained... He's been in high spirits surprisingly over the last few days, I just want to be precautionary really... incase he declines..

His home is full of boredom breakers and he gets 30-1hr play time outside his cage a day

Any advise? or has anyone had a similar situation?

Thanks,

J

If he is caged in the same room as the females he can at least still "chat" with other chins so he doesn't feel all alone. If he does seem lonely and doesn't chew fleece, you can try a cuddle buddy, the chin shaped ones are cute but even a chinchilla size square fleece pillow stuffed with fleece scrap works. It gives him something to cuddle up to when sleeping, and some chins enjoy throwing them around the cage.

If you are wanting another chin you could try getting him a new male cage mate. Just keep in mind that it does take time (30 day quarantine then weeks to months of intros), and they may not ever get along, so you could end up with 2 single males. Also if the male is older and seems fine alone he may not be as willing to make a new friend. Not all chins need to be in pairs or groups to be happy, just like humans some enjoy being alone. Most of the chins I've had over the years were caged as singles, but all in the same room so they weren't really alone since they could see and talk to each other.

If you don't have a TV or radio in the room already, you could try adding one or both. I'm sure this goes without saying, but also be sure to give him lots of extra attention for the next few weeks. Even if you just sit and read or sing to him, it can help.

Hi Amethyst and Airyn,

He is caged just below the females, the cuddle bunny seems like a great idea! I think i'll definitely invest in one.
I don't think another Chin would be the best option for my now single Chin, as him and his other brother used to squabble and him in particular, when attempting to introduce him to my females, it didn't work, even after months of practice...
He's roughly three years old.. He does seem quite happy at the moment, probably due to all the attention I'm giving him! I guess I'll just keep up with that and hopefully he won't become lonely

I've been sitting next to the cage with him just watching Netflix and studying, so I'm also hoping that's keeping his spirits high :)

Thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate it x

J

Back