Eye infection

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbby

I just took one of my males into the vet today for an eye infection (Actually my first issue with infection in my 12 years of breeding/owning). He had a bit of a weepy eye on his left and a weepy/red eyelid on the right. Both eyes were open and clear though he was squinting a lot today.
The vet saw no other issues than the weepy eyes and gave him Tritop ointment, applied twice a day for a week. Tonight when I went in to apply his second dose, both eyelids are now red and irritated looking... Is this normal? Should I expect them to be bothered for a bit before better?

try the ointment or eyedrops. If nothing changes you may want to look into dental xrays. If the roots of there teeth are growing upwards (form of malo) it can give a wet looking eye area.

Pink eye is highly transmittable, so when the chin scratches the eye, they can transmit it to the other eye. Sometimes the use of oral antibiotics and ocular ones need to be used.

I'm on my third dose and though he is upset at me, both eyes don't look as nasty red as they did last night. I guess it could be that he scratched them a lot after his first dose.

Would a salt/water mix warm compress help any? Poor lil guy is so upset with me cause of the ointment that he now try to spray me when I come near his cage.

Back