What color is this baby?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can only get brown velvet or beige out of that pairing. Tan requires the ebony gene.

Usually it takes a bit for TOV to show, and it's really hard to tell from those pics on my phone.

Yes, I saw that chin color calculator, but wasn't sure if it was 100% accurate. It's too light to be a Black Velvet and seems a bit too dark to be a Beige. He looks smoky, so like tan. I don't have much experience with Velvets (just bought a few of them 2 months ago from a retiring breeder) so I am not sure how the color is going to develop and very excited to see! I will post some pictures here when he is a few weeks older!

There is no evidence of TOV in that kit. Even though it's a newborn, you would have some indication (a mask or just darker around the eyes) if it were. From that pairing, all you can get are beiges or TOV beiges.

I agree the kit is a beige. You can only get beige or brown velvets from your pairing and there is no hint of the tov veiling.

Yes, only hetro beige or brown velvet are possible. Your homo beige parent would appear light. So the smokey darker beige you are describing is the hetro beige color. It is the presence of one standard gene that makes it darker and "greyer" than pure beige.

Beige is my first love, I love all variations of it. =D

You were right! He is Hetero Beige. I had a Brown Velvet born the other day and I can see the mask and the stripes on paws. Here is the picture update of the baby as he is 1 month old now. Isn't he a cutie :) Someone reserved him already but I so want to keep him now.....
jxfVJN4.jpg

Back