Mummified Kit(pictures)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
I already posted pictures of this but wanted to give the mummified kit its own thread for people to reference back to. On May 16th, 2010 my beige female, Nefertiti went into labor. This was her second litter, the first was triplets that were all healthy albeit a few were missing ears. I wasn't too concerned with this litter as she did wonderfully last time and she was paired to the same male.

She went into labor sometime in the morning and I found a wet kit in her cage at 12:30pm. I watched her and kept an eye on her for the next two hours and after about an hour she passed the "afterbirth" and ate it. Nothing was happening and I could feel more kits inside. I gave her a dust bath(the rolling helps with contractions) and ten minutes later she managed to push out a little beige boy. At this point I was worrying about her as she was beginning to look very exhausted so I sat in the room with her and was consulting with a friend while she was in labor. I could still feel a kit in there so I waited another two hours. Still nothing, so in the dust bath went again. About thirty minutes after this dust bath she was pushing really hard and I knew it was only a matter of time before the next baby was out. I watched and waited and began to worry even more because she was contorting herself into very odd positions to push. Finally she did one more loop around the cage and gave a final heave and out popped a little beige girl and something else. The beige girl was sneezing and coughing so I attended to her first and made sure she had all the fluid out of her lungs. When I went to replace her into the cage I checked the "placenta/afterbirth" looking thing that mom had grabbed. I tried to pick it up and my brain kept saying "NO!" and making me drop it...so I ended up pushing it around in the shavings until I could control my impulses again. I finally picked it up and it was a tiny, mummified kit. When curled up it is no bigger than a quarter. It has all of the limbs intact and even the head, body and tail are recognizable. To me...it looks like an alien. I can be very scientific and I saved the body for possible future exploration...but this thing looked like it was straight out of a horror movie. I kept waiting for it to fly, screaming at my face.:laughitup: Anyhow, here are the pictures now that this long winded story is out.

Mom and all three surviving babies are doing very well. There seems to be no ill effects from holding this mummified kit inside for what I can only imagine was a good amount of the pregnancy.

I'm posting links. To me this is much better than scrolling down and just being slammed by the pictures.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/fuzzychinchy/IMG_1204.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/fuzzychinchy/IMG_1206.jpg

Back