Vet bills

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

I wanted to create a thread about how much vet bills can actually cost, since it does vary from vet to vet and from procedure to procedure. I hope everyone here will share their experiences for new owners to understand what kind of financial responsibilities are involved in emergency care. Perhaps Nancy could compile these into a sticky?

Anyway, here's mine:

I've been a hedgie owner only for a year now and was on CnQ for most of that time. I took the advice on the site and had $200 around for emergency vet bills, but I found that it wasn't enough. Since January 2008, I've paid over $1500 in vet bills for the following stuff:

Check-up visits were $60 for each hedgie when they came home.

Medication for mites was only $100 for the exam and meds for my little one but $350 for my oldest who needs to be gassed to be examined.

Green poop scares cost about $150 a piece for fecal floats and smears. (I could have saved myself about $450 total if I just waited a day to let their systems smooth out, but hey, I was paranoid)

Jack's eye proptosis was $400 for the Emergency vet visit to put the eye back in, plus another $300 for suture removal and medications and rechecks.

Now I admit that I'm the first to run to the vet if I get even slightly worried, but my hedgies have had some serious issues that the cost of the vet bills were unavoidable. I don't want to dissuade people from getting hedgies unless they are not prepared to face some of these situations.

Just to have a hedgie seen here is over $60.
Blood tests/gas were around $100+
I think the vet visit was around $200-$250 after everything, including medications.

Great Idea!

Now remember these prices are al discounted because I get a rescue/multiple pet discount.

Aero's first proptose cost: $113 for the evet to give a pain injection(actually she made me do it and still charged me like she did it) to hold him over until our normal vet was open since she didnt want to work on him. Then when the vet opened they saw us and sent us home at first trying to save the eye. But Charged $36 for the visit and then gave meds for free. Aero scratched at it too much over the night and we went back the next morning and had it removed because he damaged it completely and it could not be saved. That was another $200.

We get free stitch removal.

The second eye had proptosed and that was over $250 just to have it put back in and stitched closed.

Then add in refills on meds which were about another $100. Then he stopped drinking and got dehydrated and another evet visit of $70 plus more meds $34and subqs $10 to take home. Dont forget the food Hills A/D and some Ensure.

That all stemmed from his eye problems.

Needler had a cyst pop up on his butt and the vet wanted to do emergency surgery because at the time upon breif inspection he thought it couldve been a tumor. That cost $75. Just charged for a large animal vet visit.

Now for the regular stuff..

Initial Vet visit- $30-75(this depends on where we go I have several places incase one is too busy)

Fecal Floats and Smears- I have one that said he will only charge me if something came up in it but I have paid as high as $50

Revolution for mites - $16

All of my hedgehogs have been great enough to have to be out under. But if we ever needed to I have gotten quotes and they have been anywhere from $25-100.

Well here's one for Canada:

Vet visit $75 (this includes gasing if required)
Any rescue from SPCA - first visit free
$125 for fecal smears and cultures
$450 for ultrasounds (exploratory surgery is cheaper but when there's the other option I don;t even ask how much cheaper)
Generally $15-20 for medications

When I purchased Peach from a local breeder, I realized she had mites and a ear infection, so I took her to the vet. The physical exam was $60. Check for mites was $60. Tiny dose of Revolution was $25. Malotic ointment was $35. Vial of antibiotics was $35. So, definitely not cheap. I just know to go and pick up my hedgies from now on, instead of having them delivered to me!

When I took Sid to see if she had mites, the visit, scraping and then the meds cost me a total of $130. So after reading everyone elses response, I think I got off cheap. LoL

I was lucky. My last one (like 3 weeks ago) was 175 CND$, it included:
2 x-rays
an examination
Bene-Bac
Metronidazole
Amoxicillin

After I got my Kali, I had to take her in for a visit with the vet. The meds, having her put under, ears checked out and skin sample checked out were all $126 total. We will be doing her follow-up visit soon, and hopefully she's all good to go now.

Back