digging in dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5melrose5

All of a sudden my chin is sitting in his dust and digging like mad with his front paws? He never roles in it anymore? Its very funny to watch,I have never seen anything move that fast,his paws are like little propellers!

My GiGi LOVES to do this! In fact if we leave the bath house in her cage and we don't keep a close eye on her she will dig all the dust out of her bath house and put it in her cage! It is very cute to what her digging!

I've got a digger and an eater and a lazy duster (she looks like a big turtle stuck on her back cause she doesn't like to roll fast!), they are silly sometimes.

My chins do that all the time. Seriously, I think the way they're digging at the dust is like us human taking a bubble bath! You sit there and scoop up hands full of bubbles and blow it....LOL~ But I haven't seen them eat the dust, yet.

If I remember correctly, from reading a chinchilla book, in the wild they actually dig and paw at lava stones in order to get the dust they need. I thought that was interesting. Maybe it's just something that got passed down to domestic chins? Both my boys dig before they roll. I think the sound of it being done is the cutest. Sometimes after digging, the just wipe their face in it.

Tinkerbell will roll around in her dust bath, but any spilled dust on the floor, she'll dig at it like mad and then try to roll in it.

my chins will even try to dig on the floor in front of the dust bath in the dust that spilled out! both my boys absolutely love their baths.
i just got my new rescue his dust bath at lunch today, so tonight will be his first dust bath at my house! he needs it. and i hope he loves it as much as the other two!

Mine dig in the dust, too. I no longer leave the dust in their cages. Instead, I have a small cage (metal bottom, no litter) that I place the dust bath in. That way, the dust isn't lost. I just scoop it out of the bottom of the small cage and back into the bath house..

I've got a digger and an eater and a lazy duster (she looks like a big turtle stuck on her back cause she doesn't like to roll fast!), they are silly sometimes.

LOL! "A big turtle" thats too funny! You should get a pic of that.

The sound is cute!! My chin grinds his teeth with the dust, that does not sound cute!, LOL!

My chinchilla digs in her dust all the time before rolling, and sometimes after she's done a roll. I think it's a natural thing. Though she has dug at the bathroom rug and rolled on that before. Probably because it's soft?

My boy digs as well, and he does it so much at one time that sometimes it makes him sneeze! It's super funny and cute though! I love watching him take his bath. He also likes to do that in his cage to his bedding. He digs at it, then starts rolling in it... I don't know why, but he does...

Back