People with dueling chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addictedtochins

Socially inept
I had to separate Louey due to fighting and I had him in a separate cage. He was a very sad and depressed chinchilla. Since I got the ferret nation the other 2 boys have the whole upstairs and hop down to a shelf on the bottom half. Louey has 75% of the whole bottom half. I rigged it up so he can sit on a shelf and they can interact through the cage bars and everyone is happy and excited. I think it really helps chins who are lonely but can't behave. Does anyone else do this? What are your thoughts?

I think it is a great idea - I do this when I separate Moms from the sire of the babies - I use a very small wire to separate the cage so the male can't get the female thru the wire and the kits can't get in the male's half

I am in the process of building a cage and I specifically split it vertically so they can still see each other. While they cant live on the same side they can still be in the same cage and not be completely separated.

I think it might be good for some chins, but mine would still not behave. (The little brats!) I have a pair on the top half of the FN, and a single chin on the bottom half. I have to be careful when I feed them, cuz one time the ones on top reached down when I had their cage open, and bit my little guy on the bottom right on the nose!

I made a removable separator with very fine wire mesh in a pine frame for while I was trying to intro my girls. The separator worked great the intros did not.... Se La vi. At least I know have a separator for introing any new chins... lol.

I could work in preventing them from full out fighting, but you can still have nipped noses and the loss of toes if they do decide to go at it through the bars.

Back