Chinchilla bit me

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby102013

So my Chin is about 2 years old and has never bit me before. I got her a new play pen and was trying to get her to come out. I have never had problems with this before. However she did not like it and bit me. It broke this skin. Has anyone had a bite before that broke the skin? Did you go get a shot? or just put a bandaid on it. I got her from petsmart 2 years ago.

Just wash the bite with soap and water, maybe some rubbing alcohol if it's deep and put a band aid on it. Unless your chin is sick, they don't carry anything too serious in their mouths like cats and dogs do, so no need for a shot.

A couple of my boys nip when playtime is over and they need to go back in their cages, but more of a pressure bite than a full on one. If your chin persists with this behaviour, try blowing full in her face as she does it, but make sure your timing is accurate. I did this with one of my lads and it cured the issue.

I have a biter. Anytime I go on vacation, he makes it his mission in life to destroy the fingers of my friends. He's been MUCH better since the chins got their own room 2 years ago. I think the sounds in my old place were a bit too much stimulation for him. Even so, as Amethyst said, soap and water is all you need to clean it. I, however, would avoid blowing in his face if he does it again. That may only serve to piss him off more.

Airyn is correct. Blowing in their face tends to anger most chins, not teach them to not bite. I gently tap the nose and firmly tell them "no". after a few times most chins figure it out. Whatever you do, do not back of or put the chin back in its cage right away. If you do, you will teach him to bite to get his way. I usually hand them off to someone else if I need to take care of the bite and then come back and hold them some more. They learn pretty quickly and I have had rescue chins that bit me a half dozen times each time I reached in the cage and every one of them has learned not to bite.

Yep, don't react and continue on with whatever you were doing. Stopping it just tells the chin they won, they are smart little sh%#$#$ts and learn this quick.

Back