Attacking/Dominance mounting my knee?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aakopec1

Every once in a while Meucci (a male) will climb onto my knee and and aggressively nip and sometimes scratch at it while making a rapid chirp-like squeaking sound. Thinking it might be a dominance behavior I've taken to placing my over his back and gently grabbing at his eats and scruffing him right back and and gently knocking him off. He is little deterred and almost seems encouraged by this. I'll even pick him up and put him in the cage and sometime he'll come right back down to the level I'm sitting at and try again. He'll nip at my fingers too with some force but not enough to be painful.

Eventually I guess he decides that someone has won and goes back to behaving as normal. Is this fighting behavior? Mating? Can I win?

I've had him for just over a month now and I want it to be well known to him that I am in charge here.

I've never really interacted with a chinchilla before so I don't know if this is normal or what to do about it, or even if I should do anything. Have any of you experienced this?

Just gently push him off when he does it. After a while, he will learn that you do not like it when he behaves that way.

My chin does this when he wants to go back to his cage.
I carry him in a little scarf and he will do the same to the scarf when he wants to go back, so I didn't feel it was a personal attack on me.

Almost every time, he goes to his little water bottle as soon as he is in there and then takes a nap, so I know he was pretty much done.

I never thought about it being aggressive behavior but i could see that. Now you have me thinking if I just got owned.

I am a new owner.

Back