Chinchilla hates boyfriend

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aakopec1

My male chinchilla(Meucci) is remarkably sweet to me and shy yet sweet to most everyone else with the exception of my boyfriend. I thought perhaps Meucci was jealous of the attention I give to my boyfriend, but I give a lot of attention to anyone I have have over. Is he trying to be dominant? He's drawn blood from my boyfriend on multiple occasions and he's even gotten enraged and bit /me/ as my boyfriend walked by the cage. That certainly hasn't happened under any other circumstances.

Why all the hate?

Looks like there have been a lot of posts about chin teens lately. I should point out that Meucci is about a year old now and might be in the midst of teenagedom. Perhaps he will grow out of it then. Is there anything I can do to facilitate the bonding of my teenage prey animal and new boyfriend?

This has been a problem for about 3 months. Meucci didn't really seem violent towards him before that point, just standoffish

Chins can be possessive, even of their humans. They also have great memories and sense of smell, so perchance your boyf smells like someone in a previous ownership that he had beef with. I'd suggest having him spend more time around him in an open space, so he can get used to his smells and presence, allowing him to approach as he deems fit. That may allow him to feel more in control and eventually ease on the hatin' :p

I'll try to get the boyfriend over for playtime more and see if changing his deodorant/soap or something helps. Thanks :)

Chins rly do have excellent memories. They are also more frightened around ppl they don't no (generally). Also there are just some little things they do not like. For example, my girl ameena had no problems when my dad was there giving her twigs in the morning. But if he started talking, she would back like crazy. She did not like the sound of his voice at all. Little things you will pick up over time if you pay attention to the chins.

Back