At a loss

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ Muscella

Hey all,

I'm hoping I can gleam some hope from everyone here. I have 3 chinchillas, 2 that live together and 1 that lives on his own - he tends to be quite domineering and aggressive. I've had the one for almost a year now and he still won't let up on his aggression. There are some days that will be better than others, but typically it's just nips, bites and cacking all over the place. I give him treats - raw oats - and play time, I try not to stress him out too much but he just acts like he's petrified of me or just hates me.

What can I do to bond with my chin more? I hate to think that he hates me and I'd hate to "give up" on him and re-home him. :confused:

You don't have to rehome him, only accept him as he is. It may simply be who he is and has nothing to do with you. If you rehome him, the situation may still be the same and I can only wonder how many times he will be rehomed for not being accepted for what he is. Bond with the two others and just accept that he is simply not the social type.

My view of chinchillas that are anti-social.

Maybe don't give him play time. If I have a biter I will make a fist and slowly go towards him while talking. It's easier to bite a finger than a fist. Then when I'm close I'll slowly open one finger touching him while talking. Then if he's fine with the one finger touching then I open another and so on and so on.

I have a mom that every time she has a new litter she attacks me at the door. I have to do this until the litter is 2 weeks old.

I wouldn't give up. I have to agree with Saphire don't rehome him.

Not sure taking away playtime will help...if he's high energy and used to playtime, this could actually make the situation worse. As with any high energy animal, if there's no outlet it can create even MORE destructive behaviors. I agree with the above posts otherwise though...try try and try some more...and if that doesn't work, accept him for the bossy little brat he may always be. People own snakes...and reptiles...and on the best of days they're handleable...but never really cuddly so...

I agree with Saphire. Don't rehome him, just accept him. Who knows how many times he'll be rehomed and in the end, where he'll end up. One owner down the line might not be so understanding.

I have a female who I'm convinced is bipolar. Some days she can be the sweetest thing and want petted and held. However, most days she is a don't pet me and don't even think of holding me. Or my personal favorite, don't even look at me days when she doesn't even want my hands in her cage. She is caged with her 2 daughter who are total love bugs and give kisses.

Try what you can to bond and when all else fails, accept him.

If handling him (getting him out for play time) is an issue, adding a wheel may help. I have a very aggressive female that i keep as a pet only and the only way i can touch her without being bit is if she has a wheel to burn off the energy. Some chins just dont like being handled no matter how much time you put into them. Its a risk you take with any animal. Ive had my female since she was weaned (8 weeks) so i know its not due to being mishandled but rather its due to her individual personality.

My lil guy is a biter too. He is super sweet other times but he will not have any of me picking him up. That's when he bites. I started transporting him for playtime in his bath house. And then when I take him back I put him in his carrier to minimize the amount if time I'm trying to hold him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back