Female chins bleed after intercourse?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gdhae

I recently got two new chinchillas (female and male) and housed them in the same cage overnight just until I get another cage today.

But I found watery blood which I'm guessing is from my female. The two chins are really great together so I doubt it's anything to do with aggression.

So my question is if it may have been due to intercourse?

not in my experiance. but be prepared for babies. I won't even lecture you on the poor choice. but odds are if there is blood there is an injury

Could have been urine. Most people who are not familiar with it think it is blood the first time they see it. Chin urine is commonly a very dark orange/red color.

Please separate them asap and keep your female in a baby safe cage for 111 days (gestation time for chins) - and start reading up on babies. It is very possible that she could be pregnant.

I agree with above. When you said watery blood my immediate thought was urine. Did you look at the female's genitals to look for signs of injury or dried blood? If you don't see any, then it was urine.

If you see blood after chins have mated, it usually isn't too bright in color. There may be brown discharge, which is actually old blood from the mating process. I've never seen bright red blood as a result of normal mating.

The blood could have been from a miscarriage or an injury for sure.

They are separated now do that is taken care of.

I did check her genitals and they seemed perfectly fine.

It wasn't a bright red, but a dark more watery type substance. It very may as well be just urine.

Thank you for your responses and I'll be looking up babies just in case.

Back