Male or Female?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cheese

Hi!! Im very new here! Trying to read as many posts as I can. We are still in the research and deciding phase so we do not have a hedgie yet. I have 2 older kids who both want one.

My daughter has a friend who has 3 hedgies. 2 boys and 1 girl. She told my daughter that the boys are way more affectionate. So Im wondering which makes better pets? boys or girls?

Also...where do you keep your hedgie? Since these guys will be the kids' pets (with my supervision of course) ....plan is to keep them in kids room.

There's no consistent difference in how snuggly hedgies are depending on sex/gender.

"Affectionate" is an interesting choice of words though. Male hedgies absolutely have a way of being affectionate with themselves when they make that delightful pubertal discovery. And the product of their affection is extremely sticky. Once hardened, it's there to stay.

Hedgies need consistent temps and regular periods of dark/quiet at night and light during the day. Provided you can make sure that will happen in their rooms, it should work fine for them. There are plenty of teens and adults for whom that arrngement works. You will want a high quality wheel to ensure hedgie doesn't keep the kiddo up at night. Something like the csw or csbw by Larry.

I'd suggest two females in case there is ever any interaction between the two of them. Boys will fight. One of each will breed.

Back