More info needed before I decide

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fern94

Hi! Let's get straight to the point. I have been thinking about getting a pet hedgehog for a while, but I want to make sure I can take care of him/her properly.

I have read a lot of the posts on care, so I don't think I need the basics. However, I haven't been able to find costs. About how much does a singular hedgehog cost per month/year?

I am still a student, and I have a job, but that's during the day. Would it be a problem to leave my hedgie alone during most of the day? I would assume not, because they are nocturnal, but I just want to make sure. Also, what if I need to have a light on at night in the room they are in? Will they be unable to be active because they think it is still daytime?

I know I would be able to play with my hedgehog for an hour or two a day, at least, but if I had to leave for a few days, would they be alright with just basic care? I would find someone I trust to care for them, of course, but if they couldn't play with them for more than a few minutes, would that be alright?

And, finally, I have gotten different answers about this, but what schedule is good for hedgehogs? 12:12, 10:14...

Again, I just want to be prepared. After all, I would hate to neglect such a cute little critter, especially because I just didn't know any better.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!! :thumbsup:

I have read a lot of the posts on care, so I don't think I need the basics. However, I haven't been able to find costs. About how much does a singular hedgehog cost per month/year?
That is really hard to say. Depends on what you use for supplemental heating, what you consider important as cage accessories, supplies, food, etc... And then, depending on health issues, a visit + meds might be around $100 for something simple. It goes up from there. I've easily spend several thousand in a year on veterinary expenses.

I am still a student, and I have a job, but that's during the day. Would it be a problem to leave my hedgie alone during most of the day? I would assume not, because they are nocturnal, but I just want to make sure.
Actually, that's one of the things I like about them/they like about me... that the house is quiet during the day when it's time for them to sleep. As long as you can be reasonably sure that hedgie is safe and secure while you're gone (eg, has light on during the day, supplemental heat as needed, etc...), then being gone during the day is just fine.

Also, what if I need to have a light on at night in the room they are in? Will they be unable to be active because they think it is still daytime?
If you absolutely must keep a light on at night in the room they're in, I'd suggest finding a way to block that light from reaching their cage. A screen or some ilk??

I know I would be able to play with my hedgehog for an hour or two a day, at least, but if I had to leave for a few days, would they be alright with just basic care? I would find someone I trust to care for them, of course, but if they couldn't play with them for more than a few minutes, would that be alright?
Yes, you can do basic care only or play with for a few minutes for a few days as needed. Basic care will need to include changing food, water, and bedding; checking on temperature both by looking at the in-cage thermometer and by picking hedgie up 2x/day to ensure belly is warm; picking up hedgie to inspect feet for poop (and cleaning off the poop) and for threats like hair or strings wrapped around toes or feet. After a few days of really basic care like that, hedgie might not be as snuggly as s/he had been... but should return to normal after several days of being back on the same snuggle & play schedule with you.

And, finally, I have gotten different answers about this, but what schedule is good for hedgehogs? 12:12, 10:14...
we're running about 14 light, 10 dark. It'll end up being a combination of your schedule, hedgie's schedule, and if you run into any hibernation attempts (not enough light can trigger that).

Back