A few more questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcw142

I keep thinking of questions to ask after I post a thread, so I have a few questions to ask in ONE thread, haha.

1. Does the constant pooping stop once my hedgie is more comfortable?
a. also, I am slowly changing his food from basic cat food from the breeder to chicken soup (etc.) adult light, and his stools are much bigger and a bit oily, is that normal?
2. he sometimes twitches, it may be hiccups or sneezing, is that normal?!
3. he stopped using his wheel, should I be concerned?
4. he dislikes his play pen and always tries to escape, is this something he just needs to get used to!?

Sorry a lot of questions, thanks for your help :)

1. Does the constant pooping stop once my hedgie is more comfortable?
Hedgies do poop a lot when they are stressed and babies are more poopy than adults. As long as you are seeing nice logs of poop, that is a good sign.

a. also, I am slowly changing his food from basic cat food from the breeder to chicken soup (etc.) adult light, and his stools are much bigger and a bit oily, is that normal?
A change in quality is normal when you are changing foods. I'd keep an eye on the oily piece.

2. he sometimes twitches, it may be hiccups or sneezing, is that normal?!
I've had 3 of 4 hedgies twitch as they are settling down for a snuggle. It's hard to describe - like a subtle fully body rhythmic shake/twitch/something that goes on for less than a minute. It seems to be normal for them unless you're seeing large spasms.

3. he stopped using his wheel, should I be concerned?
That I would worry about. Check his wheel - look for anything that could be making it unpleasurable - rinse it in water, ensure that it spins all the way around freely, that the air is a good temp at night when he runs in it. Also check out his feet - if his nails are growing too long, it would uncomfortable for him to wheel.

4. he dislikes his play pen and always tries to escape, is this something he just needs to get used to!?
Some hedgies enjoy a playpen, others just want to snuggle directly with you during play time. It's possibly that he'd prefer to snuggle. Also, take a look at what's in his playpen - are there treats that he could rummage around and eat (mealies, for example), places to hide (like an igloo or hedgiebag), things to do? And is it the right temperature for him?

Thanks soo much, you are so helpful :) !! I'm so happy with his information, it seems my hedgie is normal yayyy!

the twitchy thingy you described is right before he settles down, so thank goodness!

his poops have gotten better, very huge, but better!

Some hedgies enjoy a playpen, others just want to snuggle directly with you during play time. It's possibly that he'd prefer to snuggle. Also, take a look at what's in his playpen - are there treats that he could rummage around and eat (mealies, for example), places to hide (like an igloo or hedgiebag), things to do? And is it the right temperature for him?

I put his wheel and his blankie in there, I never thought to eat food because I only notice him eating during the night, but I should definitely do that! And as far as mealies go, I get mixed messages... I hear to give one every few days, yet other owners give about five a day. I give him two at the most a day. Is that okay for a baby!?

the twitchy thingy you described is right before he settles down, so thank goodness!
Yep, that's right when it happens... just before or just as they're settling down.

his poops have gotten better, very huge, but better!
Pretty amazing how such a small creature can have such big poops, eh?

I put his wheel and his blankie in there, I never thought to eat food because I only notice him eating during the night, but I should definitely do that! And as far as mealies go, I get mixed messages... I hear to give one every few days, yet other owners give about five a day. I give him two at the most a day. Is that okay for a baby!?
Mealies seem to really depend on the hedgie. Since they're said to be high in fat, the idea is to give the skinny runners more and the chunkier hedgies less. Two a day for a baby should be just fine. You'll probably find yourself either adding in a few more, staying the same, or switching to every other day depending on how much of a lean runner vs chubby boy he is as an adult.

Back