Mean hedge?? Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedge

I've had my hedge for about 5 days and she's a year old. She's mean. Rverutine I go by her she huffs and hisses. Or out my hand in the cage, what can I do?
And she sleeps all the time.

Just try to show her that you are the good guy. Just be very careful around her. I am not an expert on hedgehogs but it could be just a phase, because hedgies can change their behavior pretty fast. And for the sleeping... Maybe you just don't hear her at night.

I would give her time to adjust to her new world. She is in a new place and understandably nervous. Five days is not very long. I would put a shirt that you have worn for a few days in her enclosure. Let her get used to your scent.

In a couple of days, go and sit by her cage. Let her get used to you being around. Talk to her. When she seems less nervous you can try to handle her. You may need a towel or gloves, but hold her and speak gently to her even if she huffs and balls up. After a while you will develop a routine and she will know what to expect and be less afraid. Take your time and enjoy! :) Patience and going slowly is the key.

Also, hedgies are nocturnal, expect them to be more alert in the evening.

Latest posts

Back