• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Chins-N-Hedgies and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Where to get Chinchillas in Alberta?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderatr
I'm more curious at the moment, but does anyone know if there are any chinchilla breeders or rescues in Alberta? Preferably northern or central Alberta? So far I've only been able to find chinchillas on occasion in Petland (horrible, horrible place) and in Petsmart. I got my two from a local feed/pet shop and the store was selling them for someone, the shop didn't actually sell chinchillas.
What I am wanting/considering are dark ebony, black velvet, pink white and/or mosaic. Honestly I was dead set on wanting a black velvet until I joined the forum here, lol, so many beautiful chinchilla mutations.

Hi, where are you? I know that there are a few breeders in AB. I wish I could convince my daughter to bring one back for you when she visits me next month from Edmonton, but there is no way she would do that because of her allergies.

I live just north of Valleyview, about 2 hours from Grande Prairie or Peace River depending on if you go west or north lol. Edmonton is about 4 hours south from me, completely do able for traveling to get one (or two ;)). As I said though I'm more curious at the moment, I know there are a few people on here that are from Alberta so was hoping for an answer as to where they got theirs, for future reference. I'm still working on the convincing my husband I need a couple more part of the equation lol.

Wow, you are far north. Furthest north I ever got was Athabasca.I have heard that there may be a breeder in Alberta with quality animals, just don't know where. Maybe you need to get some really good quality animals, get a really good mentor and fill a nitch in Alberta that needs filling.

Yeah, northern Alberta seems to lack chinchillas, but I'm not going into breeding, lol. I don't think I could handle the inevitable losses, or the vet bills. I had one set of kits years ago when lived in the states and that was by mistake. I may have to look into having chinchillas shipped. There is a vet that sees, and has even done surgery on chinchillas about 45 mins from me so people have to be getting them from somewhere... though it could be from Petland or Petsmart.

If you are looking into having a chin shipped, you might want to check out Alderbrook Chinchillas and Chinchilla Park Place, both are on southern Vancouver Island and have strong reputations

Hi Amethyst, you are in luck that I just joined. There are a few breeders here in Alberta including myself.

I live in Calgary and I know that there are at least 4 breeders down here that have chins for sale all the time. I don't have any babies as of yet but once I do I can surely let you know.

I have a herd of 12. I breed Mosiac, Tan, Dark Ebony, Violet, Recessive White, Sapphire Ebony and I am hoping to get my hands on some Goldbar as well.

We are also looking at starting a chapter up here in Alberta to bring shows back up north so that others can get involved as well.

I do know of a few breeders that do ship chins or can meet you for pick up.

Let me know what you are thinking of and I can see what I can do for you.

Thanks Shane
MCBA Member and Owner/Operator of MadNes Chinchillas

Back