Chinchilla "finishes" on the other chin's fur o_o

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

I starting introducing my new chinchilla (taro is about 8 months) to my two older chins whom are cage mates. I started by putting taro's cage next to the other two's cage for 3 months. After I moved, I partitioned my ferret nation into two levels and switch them every couple of days so that they can share the same dishes and get used to each other's smell. I recently taro share a level with one of the older chins with supervision. When there is a fight and fur falling, I separate them. Up until now (6 months since I got Taro), he still isn't getting along with the other two chins.

Today, I used the squishing method that I read about online and put Taro with my older chin in a small area so they can't fight. Taro started humping the other one and I noticed that he even "finished" on the other's back. I'm so shocked. They are all males. I had a VERY difficult time taking it off the other chin's fur and I felt so bad for him. What do I do so that they will all get along? Why is he finishing on another male's back? It's so weird and I'm so frustrated that they won't get along. The other two chins are best pals after introduction but it just won't happen with the third. How do you introduce your chins?

Humping between males during an introduction is completely normal. He is just showing his dominance. If there is no fighting, fur pulling, chasing, etc. just let them work it out. You may see one of the others humping the one who was initially doing the humping. Again, it's just them working out their dominance issues.

I understand that it is normal to hump but he finishes (as in ejaculate) on the other chin and that doesn't seem normal to me.

Yup, it's normal.

I do so that they will all get along? Why is he finishing on another male's back? It's so weird and I'm so frustrated that they won't get along. The other two chins are best pals after introduction but it just won't happen with the third. How do you introduce your chins

There's not one fool proof way you can do to "make" them get along. It's completely up to the chins, and they may never get along. Introducing a third chin to an already bonded pair can be very difficult. They may never accept him.

Back