I think my chin likes my boyfriend better

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK23

I got Louie on May 19th, and so far everything has been great. When he was in his old cage, which was pretty small, I was able to pet him pretty much all the time. Ever since I got a new cage for him, which is much larger, he almost always runs from me when I try to pet him. I assumed since I haven't had him for very long, and now he is in a new cage, that I just need to give him time to adjust. BUT yesterday, when my boyfriend came home from work, he went to Louie's cage and started rubbing the top of his head. He was even rubbing his ears all the way to the tips!! Louie just patiently sat there the entire time!! I was shocked. Apparently my boyfriend pets him a couple of times a day, usually before and after work, until "his hand gets tired", and Louie hardly ever runs from him. WHY is this?! Maybe he just likes guys better? Or, like my boyfriend suggested, maybe I am smothering him with too much attention and he is rebelling against me?:laughitup:

Sometimes chins get scared and kind of freeze. It could be that your chin is more used to you and he's not comfortable enough with your boyfriend to get over that "freezing" stage. While your chin is frozen, your boyfriend is able to pet him. When I first got my chin, I could pet her a little more than I can now. She got used to her new home and she let me pet her/pick her up a lot less. Now it's sort of normalizing.

Don't take it personally, whatever the reason is--chins are weird.

My first chin has a preference for being handled by my boyfriend. When we do teeth checks and weighing he flips out in my hands, but if kyle holds him he behaves like a little angel.
On the other hand I have a ladies man chin who could care less who the lady is but if a girl comes into the room he's all bright eyed and bushy tailed, and wants to play.
I like to make sure I'm the only person who feeds them and takes them out to play, so they know who's mommy.

Flea is that way. He will come to me for scritches when I walk in the room, but will run from my brother and roommate unless I am standing there. But he is slowly accepting them. Give it time and make sure you do not have any other animals' scents on you when you try to pet him.

Back