The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got our first FN today!! I'll be decking it out soon :))

Question:
I wanted to take out the middle separator so it's all open, but I'm a little worried about her falling. What do you guys do to prevent this? Any suggestions?

Just got our first FN today!! I'll be decking it out soon :))

Question:
I wanted to take out the middle separator so it's all open, but I'm a little worried about her falling. What do you guys do to prevent this? Any suggestions?

I have my middle shelf out and my chins do fine. To try and prevent falls from the top, I have a hammock streched across the middle.:))

Yay im finally a member =]
This is my cage pretty much its separated in this picture but it usually isnt.
And the wood pieces are usually put into the loofah holder but there just kinda ploped in the middle for now
2d7u8oo.jpg

309ug4x.jpg

2h7i5ie.jpg

I love your cage! Nice color scheme! Where did you get that bridge or did you make it? I was looking for something similar for my chins cage...:)

Everything looks so nice Lee! Whoa, that's a big pile of toys you've got going on in the lower level, lol. Love the first pic of the sleeping chin in the tube. The boys all look good.

Thanks =] And yea they have a ton of toys in there because one of them occassionally chews on barkless wood so i just leave everything in there after its all chewed up and add more

Question for fleece users;

With the peeing in the litter pan, would you expect that chins that have been kept on wire-bottom cages catch on to using a pan of shavings? With the type of cage I have I can just wrap fleece around the pull out wire grate so it is becoming a more attractive option.

Question for fleece users;

With the peeing in the litter pan, would you expect that chins that have been kept on wire-bottom cages catch on to using a pan of shavings? With the type of cage I have I can just wrap fleece around the pull out wire grate so it is becoming a more attractive option.

My chin has used a wire bottom ever since we got her (almost 3 years) and she caught on to the litter pan just fine. We started using the pan about three weeks before we actually got the FN so she had time to figure it out before the fleece. Now she doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I definitely see her peeing in it all the time. I can't say she's perfect, but she at least hasn't peed on the fleece enough for me to notice it.

OK, I have come over to the FN side. After having my chin for a few months in a temporary cage I have decided to go with a FN142. I have looked at Quality Cage and Marshall. I like the FN because of the way the doors open to give me access for adjustments and cleaning.

I have a few questions:

Can I eliminate the middle pan and let my chin have access to the whole cage with appropriate wooden shelves, ramps etc.?

I want to use shavings rather than fleece. I live in an apartment and already have reusable dog pee pads to launder. I don't want to have to launder fleece too. So I would get a metal pan from Bass. Can I just use one pan in the bottom?

Thank you all for your help. All of the FN pictures were so helpful. :thumbsup:

OK, I have come over to the FN side. After having my chin for a few months in a temporary cage I have decided to go with a FN142. I have looked at Quality Cage and Marshall. I like the FN because of the way the doors open to give me access for adjustments and cleaning.

I have a few questions:

Can I eliminate the middle pan and let my chin have access to the whole cage with appropriate wooden shelves, ramps etc.?

I want to use shavings rather than fleece. I live in an apartment and already have reusable dog pee pads to launder. I don't want to have to launder fleece too. So I would get a metal pan from Bass. Can I just use one pan in the bottom?

Thank you all for your help. All of the FN pictures were so helpful. :thumbsup:

Yes you can take out the middle pan and rack, but make sure you put plenty of hammocks and stuff to slow a fall in case she misses on a jump.

You can order the single bottom pan from Bass for around 20 bucks. I just switched back to litter from fleece with my bass pans and make sure either put plenty of litter or put some type of cushion (I used one of the old fleece liners) under the bass pan or the "BANG BANG" every time she jumps down there will drive you nuts.

One last thought... With fewer pans, you are going to have more shelves and more chances for flung poo, so the poo may go farther than before.

The more I think about it the better two pans would be. Much more safe for my girl. Less shelves = less poop shooting out. That sounds good to me too.

Now I am getting the concept of FN142 with two Bass pans and shavings.

I also came to the FN side due to the height of the stand part. I have two chihuahuas and I dont want them rushing the cage at head height. All the other cages had low casters or very low stands.

Thank you!

Just ordered a FN142! Ordering two Bass pans tomorrow. Features that convinced me were wide opening door and second pan to prevent falls. Bass pans very reasonably priced as well. Will be able to use all other cage items i have been using so far. Looking forward to setting up.

Back