General Chinchilla questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

Hello all, I am new to this forum and chinchillas and I have a few basic questions for the more experienced chin owners out there. I have been doing as much research as possible for the past few months now and after all that, I have a few oddly specific questions. My first question is how much do you recommend feeding a chinchilla on a daily basis? Some sites I've read have said 1 or 2 tablespoons a day, but others have said free feeding is best. I'm just curious which you would recommend. My second question for now is how long can you reuse the dust in a dust bath? A few days? A week? Thank you in advance! I will be getting my first chinchilla in two months or so and want to learn all I can to offer the best possible care to him/her!

Pellets should be about 1-2 tb a day, but that's just because that's how much a chin eats in a day, if your chin eats more give them more. You'll learn once you get your chin how much it normally eats in a day, my two for example eat 2-3tb each a day. You don't want to give more food then they will eat in a day or two since the food does slowly lose nutrients when exposed to the air. They don't normally over eat pellets so some people do free feed, just make sure they are eating their hay if you do. I prefer to measure the food so I can tell right away if they aren't eating.

Hay on the other hand should be free fed, it makes up about 70-75% of a chin's diet. It's easier to think of it as they eat hay with pellets to supplement it, since just like a horse, chins can survive on hay alone (though fur quality does suffer). There is frequently a good amount of wasted hay, chins are picky as to which strands they want to eat and wont eat hay once it's been peed on, so having fresh hay always available ensures they are getting enough to wear down their molars. (Chew toys wear down the ever growing front teeth, grinding up hay wears down the ever growing back teeth.)

How long you use the dust really depends on your chinchilla and how often you bath them. Dust can generally be reused for several baths so long as the chin didn't pee in it, just sift out any poops after each bath. Baths should only be given a few times a week (generally 1-3 times a week depending on where you live), so you don't leave the dust in the cage all the time. You can tell the dust needs changing when it changes consistency, going from fine and powdery to gritty with small clumps.

measure food or free food... actually both can be right in a sense. An average chin eats around 2 tbls of pellets a day (and hay). Many do free feed pellets because a chin does not usually over eat. Thus that danger is not present. However, lack of or increased eating can be a sign of medical issues. So i like to measure the pellets i give to my chin. I give them each 2 tbls. If they eat it all, i can give them more, or if they are not eating as much, less. But it allows me to see just how much they are eating to alert me to any possible health issues. So i like to measure.

Hay is always free fed. They can have as much as they want. Trouble is they are picky and often waste a lot. As such i give a certain amount of hay a couple of times through out the day. To try and make them eat a little more of what they have/be less picky.

But timothy hay is the primary portion of there diet. Pellets are usually made form alfalfa hay which will balance it out.

Limiting pellets usually only comes into play for medical issues.

Thank you all for the help, I think that's all my questions for now, but chances are, I'll have more later!

Back