Trying and failing to bond. Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndneal

I've had my standard grey (Nibbler) since he was 3 months old. He is now 8 months old. I thought he seemed lonely so I bought my mosaic (Squishy) who is almost a year. They have separate cages that I have placed next to each other. They aren't aggressive through the bars but when I bring them out to play (in a neutral area) Nibbler gets aggresive. Squishy seems to want to bond. He will walk up to Nibbler in a friendly curious way and Nibbler will relentlessly chase Squishy and Squishy now is scared of him. He will chase him and nip at his fur. There have been fur slips but no blood drawn. I'm starting to fear my boys will never be together. It's breaking my heart. Is there any hope?

Since no blood has been drawn yet I think there still might be hope. How long have you been trying the intros? It can take weeks or even months, it's not always a quick process. I would also just double check to make sure Squishy is a boy, to help rule out Nibbler wanting to mate as a reason for chasing. Also is this "neutral area" where Nibbler normally plays? if so he may still feel that this is his area. I would also if you don't already, make sure there is plenty of chew toys, hiding places, and maybe even some treats or hay out during play time to help them feel more comfortable and have something else to focus on rather then just each other.
For now I would put them both in their own cages, and let them chill for about a week before trying again.

I just introduced 2 males that are 4 and 10 yrs old. My method has been putting them in a very small carrier where there is barely any room to move. My other method if they are new chins is just to put them into a cage and watch them. You must have a neutral cage, otherwise it will not work. I would not give free time.

The neutral area is a bathroom that neither have played in, Squishy is indeed a boy, and I do bring out treats for them. Nibbler is just an extremely spoiled chin that has lived alone for a few months. I'm just concerned that I may have spoiled him a bit too much and he will never learn to share. Poor Squishy just wants to love him.

Back