Dog Allergies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

Anyone else have a dog with allergies?

Demon has fall allergies. Pretty sure it's ragweed.

I've been doing some research and read an article about Calendula Ointment being used to relieve the itching. Anyone ever tried it or heard of it?

How do you treat your dogs allergies?

2 out of 4 dogs have allergies, (one of the dogs is 17 yrs old). The other dog I think is wheat. They get Solid Gold & Natural Balance both grain free, can dog food with fish oil. I use benedryl and coritzone. It used to work but seems not to be working any more. I would like to know how other people treat their dogs.

Last edited:
You can get them tested and know what they are allergic to. Its a simple blood draw that your vet can send out. Food allergies are just avoidance but you can give allergy shots for outdoor/contact allergies.

I have 2 out of 4 with allergies as well. Both are brothers, it's just one is more severe than the other.

His vet is aware of the allergy. We have not done a blood test but pretty sure it is ragweed. Starts every year about August thru Oct-Nov. Benadryl and steroids helped but he gets really moody on steroids and gains weight. He chewed his feet and got infected, saw his vet every 2 weeks until cleared up. Remained on benadryl and steroids til fur grew back in then off steroids slowly. Then he got an eye infection (forgot the long medical term) that was caused by his allergies. So went on eye drops and steroids for that. Then slowly weaned off. I hate him being on steroids so much because he can be hard on their systems, so I was hoping to find alternatives to avoid steroids as much as possible.
His vet is aware of his allergies acting up again and he's back on benadryl and a shampoo for his feet once a week, plus we are watching his eyes. (Since he had the eye infection once he is prone to get it again) She's on stand by in case we have to treat with steroids along with his other things.

I noticed he chews at night after he goes to bed. I'm looking to get him some socks to wear in hopes that will help.
But was researching different alternatives to see what was out there and run by his vet.

You can get them tested and know what they are allergic to. Its a simple blood draw that your vet can send out. Food allergies are just avoidance but you can give allergy shots for outdoor/contact allergies.

We talked about this as well. She wants to wait on this until we have too. Since benadryl and low dose steroids work, she wants to treat this way, however once it stops working for him she said we'd try other methods, before this became the option. Kind of like a back up to everything else because she said once he is on something so long it can stop helping them.

my dogs have some issues, itchy eyes, dirty ears and my male has skin issues (he is allergic to baths lol) i feed fish oil and vitamin e. my vet said vitamin e works on a cellular level to prevent inflammation and i have read apple cider Garvin in food or water can also help skin issues, although i never saw an improvement with the vinegar i may not have been giving it often enough to work.

Back