RIP little one.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace Kelly

we euthanized our hedgehog this morning at 11 am. it is august 11th, 2011... three 11's. i consider 11:11 to be a lucky time and number.

he was about 5.5-6 years old, very ill with severe back leg paralysis. it was spreading up his abdomen, to the point where he lost bladder control and urinated all over himself. and his back legs/bum were all swollen like a balloon. i imagine he was in agonizing pain, and after monitoring his situation for a few weeks (it progressed slowly, but picked up in speed from when it got bad) we decided that there just was no cure, no possible hope for him at his age and that whatever was causing this was going to win.

he could not drink water, so i helped him drink by wetting his water bowl and tilting it so he could have a drink. also, he had trouble swallowing food and barely ate. my last look at him this morning made me realize how ill and frail he was, compared to the very bold, gorgeous hedgie baby i got way back in 2006. my little prince.

but, there was nothing anyone could do and the vet agreed euthanasia would be the most humane option. he passed this morning. i sobbed my eyes out, so did my dad and mom.

my bedroom is empty and i spent all evening looking at the moon and the mountains and purpley-blue sky, expecting to see sign of him. a shooting star, anything. i just miss him so very much already and i can't help but cry as i write this out.

he will be forever missed.

rest in peace, little one.

:angelic:

I'm so sorry you had to make that hard decision. From all that you have said about him, it was the right one to make for him. I've lost 2 in the last couple of months, and I'm certain my little ones are on the other side of the rainbow bridge showing him where the best bugs can be found. RIP little one.

It can be very difficult when we have to let our furkids pass over to the Rainbow Bridge. But he is better now, and will be waiting there for you.

Aww... I am so sorry. May you have comfort in knowing that you took great care of him and you absolutely did what was best to end his suffering. *Hugs*

I am sorry for your loss, Your little one was clearly loved and I am sure knew it until the end

I am sorry. Your little one was, indeed, special. I'm sure he knows how much you loved him.

God, I'm sorry. It's such a terrible situation to be in. You did what was best for him and he will always love you. <3

thanks everyone.

could some of you please just reassure me that he wasn't going to get any better? i mean, it wasn't likely he could recover (this sounded like some form of very late cancer, or maybe something neurological, maybe WHS?)

i made the right choice, right? :(

Oh hon, don't doubt yourself. He lived to be a good old age for a hedgehog. I long to have one that lives to be as old has he was again. From all that you described it certainly sounds like you made the right decision. The one that took away the pain, and gave him peace. It is not likely that this was WHS, but more likely that it was severe arthritis, cancer or some other problem that wasn't going to get better. When I asked questions earlier about if it would get better, your responses did not sound like it was going to at all.

If you need shoulders to cry on, you are among friends. There are many of us who have been exactly where you are now. This decision never, ever feels right. I've been there too times, times when there was no doubt in my mind that it was the only decision. But later when you come home to an empty cage, it always feels wrong.

Remember the good times with your hedgehog. Concentrate on the times when he was healthy. Try to not think about that he is gone, but smile and rejoice that you got to spend time together.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's never an easy choice to put down a pet, but it really sounds like you did what was best for him. Big hugs.

It's easy to say don't second guess your decision or doubt yourself but we all do. Every single time we help one cross the what if's start. What if we had tried this, or that, or done this, or that. Even when we know it's the right decision, we still wonder.

You did the right thing and helped him cross rather than allowing him to suffer.

Hugs

So sorry that you had to say goodbye. He had such a long life, which is one of those bittersweet things. Yes, it meant more time to get attached which can be harder to say goodbye, but take pride in and cherish the fact that you took such good care of him that he lived so long. <3

Yes, you did the right thing, I think you may be younger and perhaps this was your first time making that decision. You were a very good hedgie mommy and I do believe you will meet with him again when it's your time. Lil guy is very busy now, but he will give you a sign someday!

thanks, guys : )
i feel a little better. he lived reaaaaaaally long, and i really did my best to take care of him. i played with him but i didn't bother him when he didn't want to be bothered. i fed him, i cleaned him, i made sure he was comfortable until the very end.

it's good he got to enjoy such a long life. i feel i rescued him from that evil pet store when i was 14 years old. :') i miss him, but he's happier without his pain.

Back