Soft poo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DekuChilla

Hey everyone! New owner here. I have a male chinchilla named Deku. After 2 months of waiting to find one I finally did. I brought him home and for the past few days he has seemed very pleased with his new home. However, about a day or two in I noticed he had some soft poo, not always, sometimes his poop is totally normal and other times it's on the softer side. I figured it was from adjusting. However, today I noticed he had pooped 3 larger and much softer poops that began to worry me. He hasn't seemed into his pellets so I called the store and they said their breeder feeds oxbow to their chinchillas, so I amazon primed him some oxbow that will be here tomorrow. I had Kaytee for him but I'll probably stick to oxbow. He eats hay just fine and drinks fairly often and has been quite active. Overall I would say he is healthy but I am worried about his poop. I was hoping someone could offer me advice! My thoughts were that maybe the stress of a new home and the sudden food change has caused this but am not sure. Is this a possibility? Thanks in advance!

Both moving and sudden change in food can both cause digestive issues. On top of that kaytee food generally has a lot of "junk food" in it (like dried fruits and veggies, seeds, and/or nuts) that are all bad for chins and will cause digestive upset too.

I would just pull the pellets for now and just give hay for a few days. That should help firm up the poops. Then give the oxbow pellets, just make sure you got the chinchilla Essentials not the Garden Select one, the garden one is not good for chinchillas. If the poop doesn't go back to normal in a few days of just eating hay, or starts to become smelly or slimy, you will need to take the chin to the vet since it's likely something more serious.

Make sure that your baby is not stressed as this type of poop can also be trigger by the said emotion.

Back