Chinchilla Sounds Resource

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He even talked back to the one mislabeled angry.

I've heard mine making that noise a bit lately, she tends to do it during playtime, and nine times out of ten shes standing in front of either the closet or the door, I was starting to think it was the 'I Want' noise. What is it really?

I tired playing some of these for my chin and she seemed really interested! Does anyone know what the "Wehmut" noise means on the sound board link? I heard her making little whimpering sounds, which is why I wanted to look up the sounds in the first place, and when I played that clip she whimpered back at it! (And ran around her cage like crazy!)

I feel bad sometimes because she doesn't have any chin friends and I feel like she's lonely, so hopefully the clips were a little comforting, haha.

We hear these sounds regularly as we have a family of chinchillas now and we've always had at least 2 chinchillas. The calling sounds are misleading, we thought they were crying or just generally unhappy chinchillas. The chatter one we hear an awful lot :)

Can anyone tell me what exactly the "chatter" sound means? My chin makes it in all kinds of situations and it's the one noise we can't really decipher.

The "chatter" sounds like my male chin when he's obsessing with my female across the room from him. It's accompanied by a mad tail swish!

My chinchilla was making a noise last night that worried me.. It sounded like a series of little sneezes followed by a short wheezing after each one. I was going to take him to the vet today, but now he's not making the noises anymore.. Weird..

The link says not found..
My chin sounds like the dog's squeaky toy when he barks. He does it every once in a while when we're all in bed at night.

I couldn't get the sound to play.

Mine makes peeping noises when he wants something - playtime, treats, attention, etc.

I've received a "knack" one day when he did not want scratchies. Omg I felt so bad the whole day for making him upset, too. I think he was just having a grouchy moment, but still!

He has only ever given me the "Knack" sound one other time. I was about to scoop him and take him back to his cage. I didn't even get a chance to touch him before he gave me the scolding. U be knowest to me, playtime was def. NOT over.
Bossy little bugger!

He did make one noise at night that I can't figure out. It woke me up, and I was terrified I was going to find him dangling from his bridge, or laying hurt in his cage.
It was one loud shrill noise, but it wasn't like a barking.

When I got to his cage, he was on his little lava ledge just peering back at me. Then without missing a beat, he immediately seized the opportunity to start peeping for a treat.

Like seriously, little dude? !

anyone know why or what this was about?

Did it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_9lfCfZr9k

One of my chinchillas makes this sound while sleeping. At first I thought something was horribly wrong, but I looked at her and she was still sleeping. I did some research and found sometimes they make that noise while sleeping and is normal. I call it the "chinchilla nightmare" sound. I don't know what they would be having nightmares about...

Finally! I've been looking to see what this sound is! Rue makes this sound a few times in very early morning (3-5am) and I'm always afraid he's hurt himself or something, but he's just sitting there. So now I stopped getting out of bed, and I'll just tell him that everything is okay and he's a good boy in hopes that he calms down or will be more comfortable if he hears me. Thankfully, it really only seems like he does it if I didn't get to let him out that day.

Also, the link that is stickied, I don't think it's working anymore? I get an Error 404, or a number similar to that.

The link this thread seems to be based around appears to be broken, can any mods do something about this?

Back