Litter boxes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylorannesexton

Hey!

I adopted my chin in October, and she had gone through several homes prior to me. I don’t even know how old she is. I have tried to litter box train her as many ways as I can find, but nothing works.

She’s in a grated cage and usually does urinate in one spot.

I tried to use bedding in places where she peed and put in in the litter box, but she just moved them in the box and slept in it. Silly girl!

I have also tried using a rock, as Chins usually like to pee on them...not mine!

I would really love some help/suggestions if possible. I would really love to get her on fleece, but don’t want to wash and dry fleece every day. I know the saying, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” but I’m willing to try anyway.

Please send any help you can! I deeply appreciate it!

Not all chins can be trained to pee in a box, and since you have her on a grating floor then she isn't going to associate peeing in a corner with peeing on bedding. You will likely need to remove the grating if you can or put a cage floor size pan on top of the grating so you can cover the whole floor in bedding. Then once she is use to peeing on bedding slowly remove most of it until it's just where she pees. Then you can take a litter pan and put shavings just in that and she should just pee in the litter pan.

Also keep in mind that sometimes chins decided they don't want to be potty trained anymore for some reason and just start peeing everywhere. Unlike with a cat though not using the litter box doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the chin.

try a potty pan with a grate in it since your chin is used to peeing over a grate. you may have to modify your cage so there are not other floor surfaces that are grate though, so that the chin will hopefully recognize the grate in the pan as a pee place.

i've had my two boys 8 years now and they were potty trained early on, then decided that peeing on fleece and on the wider shelves was what all the cool kids were doing........ ugh. lol. so for quite a few years i had them on full pine shavings all across the cage bottom. they chose two corners mostly for peeing in. i recently got a new cage and went back to fleece liner across the cage bottom and potty pan. they seem to be mostly using the pan. there's a couple spots near the pan on fleece that they've peed on, but i think they're doing pretty good. older chins (mine are 9 to 11 years old range) can be re-trained for pottying!

Back