New Baby Chin RELENTLESSLY Trying to Escape Cage at Night

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoebeChin

Hi all, my girlfriend and I recently adopted a 2 month old baby chin girl. I keep her in my room and I'm having a bit of a problem.

At night while I'm trying to sleep, she tries nonstop to escape her cage. The bars are to small for her to fit through so she just chews and pulls on them all night. Since the cage is metal, it's extremely loud and I'm not able to sleep.

I've had many nocturnal animals before in my room and I've never had an issue. I'm a very heavy sleeper, but the noise she makes in VERY loud.

Some points:

- There's plenty of things for her to do/chew. There's about 4 chew toys and some tunnels, hideaways, and ledges.

- I put up a 4 inch tall border of pine wood around the entire cage to encourage her to chew that instead of the bars, but she just climbs on top of her house and chews the bars from there.

- I'm mostly worried about her hurting herself while I'm sleeping. She is really aggressive about getting out.

- I know a solution could be more playtime, but I read that I shouldn't play with her until shes 6 months old. I've only been taking her out and holding her for 5-10 minutes a day as recommended online.

Any comments or suggestions would help, thanks!

Could you put the chin in another room? Or sleep in another room yourself for a bit if the chin has to be in that room? It will take a few days at least but she will learn it's not doing any good, so long as you ignore her when she does that. I really don't advise having chins in the bedroom anyway, they can be pretty noisy at night. They are not nocturnal though, they are most awake during dawn and dusk, and sleep during the middle of the night and middle of the day.

She is trying to get more attention, at 2 months old she likely just left her mother and any siblings so she is not use to being alone. It's kind of like a puppy when you first bring them home, they are lonely when you go to sleep if you kennel them or put them in their own area, and don't know how to deal with it yet. If you get up or pay her any attention when she is chewing on the bars she is learning that doing so gets attention, even if it takes all night. You need to ignore her so she learns that biting on the cage doesn't get her anything.

Back