Ceramics?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggz

I know wire and plastic hay feeders are a no, but the only solution I can find to that is ceramic feeders. In my mind, I'm thinking the chins could chew on this and it will shatter. Is this a safe alternative or no? If it's not safe what kind of hay feeder should I use? Also would a ceramic hideout be okay? I'm thinking it will keep the chins especially chill if they want, but again I'm afraid they can shatter these and injure themselves. But maybe I'm being a loon, cause ceramic is pretty tough, but so is a chins bite I'd assume :hmm:

Ceramic hay holders are fine, they are too think and hard to chew so chins generally don't bother (I suppose it's possible a crazy chin has tried though but I've never heard of it). I know some people use clay flower pots as hay holders without issue. I use wooden hay holders, like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/258962609/chinchilla-hay-feeder?source=aw&utm_source=affiliate_window&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=us_location_buyer&awc=6220_1551913290_03ea7ef19cd4178d6857a888a8a78e89&utm_content=230907. Yes they chew it, but it's safe to chew and you can always buy a new one when they get chewed though.

A ceramic house would probably be ok, but I would worry about lack of ventilation depending on how it's made. I use wooden houses, once again yes they chew them but it takes awhile and then you buy a new one. Also with wood ones it allows the chin to customize the house to their liking. My guys have this one https://www.amazon.ca/Kaytee-Woodland-Extra-Large-Rabbit-House/dp/B0009WOVP4/ref=pd_sbs_199_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0009WOVP4&pd_rd_r=531784cc-4067-11e9-a824-df4daa8f2bd1&pd_rd_w=7ulHx&pd_rd_wg=Lo7Oa&pf_rd_p=5dcda75b-8643-4da3-9bb1-5c0233790500&pf_rd_r=EV293KPX592GYSHDY4V9&psc=1&refRID=EV293KPX592GYSHDY4V9 and it no longer has a window and door, the front is just all open now, like a lean to.

A better option to give the chins a chilling option is chin chiller tiles, or simply buy some tiles (much cheaper or even free if you can snag some samples or scraps from home building stores). Their fur is so dense that they don't cool much through their fur, but they can sit on the tile when they want and cool through their feet. You can even put them in the fridge or freezer for added cooling like after playtime or on a really hot day when the AC is just not keeping it as cool as you'd like.

Awesome to hear, Amethyst, I will buy the ceramic feeder then! The ceramic house I found is essentially a giant clam shell so I think ventilation would be fine. And yes, don't worry I bought a box of tiles from Home Depot because 30 tiles were about the price of one chin chiller at petsmart so I figure it's better I have extras! I believe the ceramic house is on minnies chins website(sorry I don't know how to add links) if you want to check it out, they have a bunch of really cute chin stuff, I just didn't know if it was safe. Thank you for the help!!!!

Another quick question that has to do with safe homes, I've been seeing felt homes everywhere for chinchillas. I assume this is unsafe, but is it really? And yes, felt, not fleece.

Felt is not safe, the only fabric that is safe is fleece, and only if they don't chew it. It doesn't unravel like other fabric so you are normally going to be able to stop them and take the fleece away before they eat too much to cause an issue. Also not unraveling makes it less fun to try to rip apart so most chins give it a test nibble and that's it.

Back