Lashing out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novasowner

I used to have two chinchillas, one Biggie (recently passed away) and Nova. They were a bonded male and female. Well since Biggie has passed, Nova has been lashing out at me, biting and just changed angry behavior, when she used to be very sweet and loving. I am not sure what to do at this point, I’ve tried giving her more attention because that was what was suggested in other posts, but she just bites if I try. Any other suggestions would be amazing, I want her to be her sweet self again.

First of all you have to realize that she is grieving, and everyone grieves differently. Since her reaction is to be angry and aggressive I think the best thing to do would be give her some space. Don't ignore her, but also don't try to pet her if she doesn't come to you. There is no set amount of time for grieving, and you can't rush it, it's a process that needs to be worked through. You just have to give her what she needs, for some it's more attention, for others it's space and time alone.

Try just giving her treats and/or chew sticks, and sit and just talk to her, so she knows you are still there and care. Maybe change around the cage so it feels new again. Get some new toys so she has something else to focus on.

Also make sure you monitor her eating, drinking, and pooping, sometimes they can go on a hunger strike when grieving.

Back