Potential constipation and hairball

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hqt5009

Hi. I need opinion whether any treatment is needed for my chin, Candy. Last Tuesday, I found that she chewed through my vacuum's electricity cord (not plugged in at that time, she somehow got to it when the vacuum was placed on top of the cage). So I've been monitoring and weighing her everyday. She seemed fine until earlier this week when I started to notice a decrease in poops and slight decrease in appetite (she also lose about 12g over 1 week). However she still ate and drank and was very alert and energetic during playtime. Nevertheless, I was still quite concerned so I took her to the vet for the first time (she is 11 months old). She got whole body X-rays to see whether there's any metal or cord remains in her GI tract. The radiology report has come back and the radiologist concluded the following: large amount of amorphous soft tissue opacity filling the small bowel and cecum. Cecal impaction should be considered. The amorphous soft tissue opacity within the stomach may represent a hairball. Symptomatic treatment for a hairball and cecal impaction could be considered. In the past two days though, her appetite has seemed to come back and she is definitely pooping more now. My vet (she is not a certified exotic animal's vet) has suggested that lubricant such as oil can be given orally to Candy to help her. I am not sure if, at this point, any treatment is needed or whether giving lubricant is safe for chinchilla. I plan on calling the vet tomorrow to ask more details. Any suggestion or recommendation is strongly appreciated! I want to make sure that she is 100% healthy! Thanks!

Using a lubricant on a impaction is dicey, reason being if the impaction is dehydrated, which happens during gastric events since the body robs the digestive tract of water, then the lubricant will encapsulate the impaction not allowing it to be hydrated if sub q fluids are given, but if the impaction is still pliable, then the lubricant will help it move along. If it was my chin, as long as the chin was still pooing and the appetite and drinking water was normal, I would just increase exercise to help move things along as opposed to using the lubricant.

Thanks for the advice! She is definitely pooping more now though her poops appeared to be slightly smaller, dryer and lighter in color than usual so she might still be experiencing some constipation issue. Her drinking seems normal but she has not been eating as much as before (though she still eats quite some now). Overall she lose 15 grams over 2 weeks, but I think her weight has been stable (593 grams) in the past 2 days. Do you think I should just let her get back to normal by increasing exercise or is there any other intervention to help her? Thanks!

If this was my chin, I may supplement feeding with some critical care,
10-20 ml a day, lots of fiber in it to help move things along.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think Candy is completely back to normal now with her appetite and poop. I did purchase some critical care in case this happens again. Thank you!

Back