Male chinchillas settling into a cage upgrade

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

I have had my 2 male chins for about 9 months now. I recently upgraded their cage to a Savic Royale Suite (German version of the Critter/Ferret nation). They race about it and seem to really enjoy the extra space, but of course the change is bringing about some behavioral changes that I just wanted some more experienced opinions on.

First off, they were fairly good about peeing in one corner in their last cage. Granted, it had a lot less floor space, so they had a bit less choice. But since they've moved into their new cage they are peeing *everywhere*. They get the occasional pee in one of their pyrex litter dishes, but I feel like that's mostly chance more so than them making an actual connection. They also seem oddly adverse to getting into the litter dish. We use the same dishes (without litter) when they come out at playtime in the corners to keep the cardboard pen up, and they're happy to hop in and pee in them then, but oddly *not* in their cage. Are they just marking their territory all over their cage to make it smell like them, and establish its theirs? I'm not expecting them to get it overnight by any means, but I'm just wondering if this is usual chin behavior in a new cage...? I'm not used to them peeing in the middle of things; they usually at least find a corner... They also seem to view the litter dishes more as wood buffets than toilets. I shouldn't be too concerned as it's just KD pine shavings...?

Secondly, we're having some issues with them insisting on climbing behind their wheel. They have a metal TicTac Wheel. It's huge - 16 inches in diameter and 5 inches running width. We've put a shelf above the wheel so they can't jump on it when the other one is running. But the problem is the sides: the mounting hardware on the back means the wheel sits about 2 inches or so away from the cage bars. They both seem to enjoy squeezing themselves behind the wheel and climbing the cage bars. I'm just worried one of them is going to get hurt (especially if another one is running) because it looks uncomfortable. Is this just a normal chin thing to do and should I not be too concerned? I know they love smooshing themselves into confined spaces... We even built them a tight crawl space to allow them to do this. Besides building vertical shelves to completely enclose the wheel – which would take up a lot of space, and just seems impractical – I am not sure how else I could solve this...

in my experience, they pee where they want to pee. I have one girl who used a litter pan for a few years without issue. Woke up one day and said to **** with it. Started peeing anywhere she felt like it. Its been years and she hasnt really stopped.

Chins do have a knack for getting into tight spaces. You have to determine if its something that is going to get them injured or not. Obviously, if you think they could then youll have to do something about it.

Amana_03.jpg

Haha - yes I have seen you post this amazing picture around. I've been looking at it to comfort myself :D

They're such little nutters. I don't *think* it can harm them because they can't get to the ballbearing mechanism since it's all enclosed - so a weird massage is the worst thing that could happen if the other chin starts running. But it makes me uncomfortable to watch, and I just can't be 100% certain. Might have to try to fashion something... I just wish they would get it out of their system and explore other parts of the cage :/

@ Godofgods - what was the space between their wooden house and the cage?

@ Godofgods - what was the space between their wooden house and the cage?

When i had that hut first made it was while my girl was pregnant. She had been reduced to the bottom level of a FN cage when it came closer to expecting.

Back then i still had the plastic trays that come with a fn cage. And they and a lip on the edges all the way around. So when i designed the hut, it had to fit within the lips on both sides.

When the kits got older and got full access to the double FN cage, i put the hut back at the top of the cage on the half shelf. The half shelf (of a 142) does not have a lip. (sadly they do on 182) So when i put the hut on the shelf and pushed it back against the back bars of the cage, it left that lip room gap that you see in the pic. Which Ameena took advantage of :p

Back