Chinchilla playtime questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIxonat0r

Hello!

I am a relatively new chinchilla owner. I've had them for a couple months now but they have previously lived with my girlfriend. Due to her moving they now live with me and I am learning how to be an awesome Chin-Parent! I've already learned so much but there is something peculiar about my one chinchilla boy.

I have 3 chinchillas total. One in his own cage and two brothers in another. The singular Chinchilla seemingly LOVES playtime! His energy is absolutely crazy and he seemingly never wants to stop. I want to regulate it to an hour long session but after the first week or so he seems to know that if he gets back in his cage Im going to close the door. And getting him myself is a hassle and I am always worried about making him hate me because I have to try and get ahold of him.

When he's out during playtime he always tries to get either under the couch or the bed. I have chinchilla proofed the entrances but he is relentless and doesn't seem to focus on other areas in the playroom. Is this something I should be worried about? DId I start the playtime sessions too early without properly bonding with him so I can pick him up?

When I try to pick him up he makes grumbly noises, and last night he made teeth chattering sounds at me. He also doesnt ever seem to want the rosehip treats I offer him probably due to the fact that ive decided to no longer give him those fattening dandelion treats that Ive learned are really bad for them.

Any advice would be helpful! I just want to make sure he lives a happy life. I know i probably asked a handful of questions so any answers are awesome!

Thank you!

You might consider getting him a playpen to run in. It is safer than him trying to get into places he shouldn't be, it makes clean up super easy (especially if you get the bottom liner), and it makes catching and taking back to the cage a snap. You can rotate toys in and out for entertainment as well, so everything seems "new" every few days or every week. Any time I let my chins out, I used 2 or 3 playpens to let them run in (I have many chins, so would rotate them in groups in each playpen) and I also have one for my grandferrets while they are visiting me. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-FC-...491333993&sr=8-11&keywords=chinchilla+playpen

I agree a playpen is the best way to go, if there are places the chin can go that you can't reach it, it's not really a chin proof area. It happens sometimes where something rolls under the couch or bed and you don't realize it and the chin finds it and decides to chew or eat it. You can either go with a premade pen like tunes linked, or for much cheaper (if cost is an issue) you can just make your own out of cardboard boxes. You could also use the pen in reverse to block areas he shouldn't go once you get a better bond formed. Some chins never really like to get picked up, but with time (months to years) most seem to reach a point of tolerating it.

As for the treats, yeah he probably is mad he doesn't get the treats he wants anymore, he will learn in time that they aren't coming back. It's like a kid getting cake all the time as a treat then given a piece of fruit instead, but there are plenty of healthy treats other then rose hips you can try. Other treats include a single cheerio (I call them cracky Os because my boys go nuts over them), a shredded wheat, a couple slow cook oats, rose peddles and blossoms, basically any of the herbs on the Fuzzies Kingdom site. Just remember treats need to be just that, so just one a day at most. My guys only get treats a few times a week.

That playpen linked looks pretty nice. You don't think they'd be a little disappointed after having a whole room to run in? If i choose to build my own playpen can I use something sturdier than cardboard?

I suppose I like spoiling them with too much freedom so if it's more responsible to have the smaller playpen then I can do that. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

You can buy extensions for it, 3 panel pieces. It is really good sized when you add them. Your chin isn't going to miss the bigger area, and honestly, if you can't 100% without a doubt make the room chin proof, I'd take safety over space.

Okay thank you for the advice! Do you see where they sell the 3 additional frames on Amazon? I cannot seem to locate them.

So heres an additional question! My chinchillas currently reside in my basement. I make sure the temperature is regulated and thay i cycle lights on and off every 10 hours or so. I also cycle in fresh air throufg a window. Are they able to be healthy and happy in an environment like this? Or should i find them natural light? I can move their cages to my room and my bed in the basement as an option.

So i have two glass water bottles for my two chinchilla cages. One of them always seems to have a lot of tiny bubbles in it. What does that mean? I tried cleaning them out but it would seem to still create the bubbles. Is that normal or perhaps i didnt get all of what is in them?

Back