wheel vs flying saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hi, I'm planning on buying my year old chinchilla a running wheel/saucer. Currently I'm looking at kaytee silent spinner (giant) since it seemed large enough and doesn't take up as much room. Should I invest in a flying saucer instead? What are the benefits of each one?
Thanks

The silent spinner is not chin safe at all. Even the giant one is only 12", you need a minimum of 15" diameter (or equivalent when looking at a flying saucer) for a chinchilla, 14" is ok if your chin is small. Chinchillas backs are not designed to bend backwards like other rodents, so using a wheel that is too small will result in back injury over time. Also the silent spinner is plastic, which the chin will eat. Not only is plastic not digestible so it will cause a blockage if swallowed, if the chin chews the center holder the whole wheel could fall off trapping the chin under it and it could suffocate or overheat. Even if those were not an issue and you have a chin that doesn't chew plastic, the axle is spins on is plastic, so you have plastic rubbing plastic, creating plastic dust that the chin is then inhaling. You would also have to attach it to the wall of the cage somehow so it doesn't tip over.

Chin safe wheels include, the 14" silver surfer wheel (once again if your chin is on the smaller side), the chin spin, Chin sprint or for the metal flying saucer the standard size or large are big enough. These treadmill wheels also look like they might work. If you look online there are several do it yourself style wheels too using cake or oil pans and roller blade bearings, like those found on Etsy for example, as well as YouTube videos.

The real different between a drum style wheel and a flying saucer is that most chins have no problem figuring out a drum style. Where as the flying saucer can have a learning curve and some chins never figure it out. The flying saucer also takes up a good amount of floor space in the cage.

Rocket29, I'm a new owner as well. Spend the money on quality items. You and your chin will not regret it. I have the Chin Spin and my chins are so satisfied with it. They got really good with it since I brought them home on Christmas Eve. My girls are nearly a year old and they excel at running on this contraption. It got to be really entertaining when one of my chins took off so fast that upon trying to stop she ended looking like she was in a front load washer. LOL But anyhow, Quality Cages makes the Chin Spin and their craftsmanship is outstanding!!!! I am impressed with the Chin Spin and its quality build. I bought it on Etsy but they also sell it on Amazon and on their own website.

Back