My chin smells like pee?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliviaschevy

Hello.
I am a first time chinchilla owner. I have one and her name is Chevy, but anyways I was playing with her today and picked her up and noticed she had a slight odor that smelled like pee. It's not very strong but I'm wondering why she has this smell. I give her regular dust baths with blue cloud dust and she is on a mesh flooring with care fresh bedding underneath. I clean her cage completely one a week and spot clean it everyday. It doesn't look like she has a urinary infection bc there is no yellowing or mucus "down there." Why does she smell?

Does she have a dish/potty to pee in? Or maybe she pee'd on a ledge perhaps? She may have sat in her urine and it soaked into her fur a little. Dust baths will help get the urine and smell off of her.

The dish/potty? My girl took to it right away. I put it in the corner that she normally pee'd and it made cleaning her cage soooooo much easier. Instead of having to change the entire pan on the bottom of the cage 1x a week, I just used a glass pie dish and put some kiln pine shavings in it. She'd use it 99% of the time and then I'd just have to change that 1-2x a week and then the entire pan every two weeks since it really didn't get that dirty.

I got my pie dish from Walmart, but this is pretty much what it looked like:
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp-everyda...8&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-262081660-2

If you were asking about dust baths, then yes, she does need those. About 2-3x a week and for about 20 minutes each time. I have on occasion accidentally left the dust bath in there over night and I noticed that she was still in there by morning - so I wouldn't advise leaving the dust bath in for too long since she may use it too much which can dry out the coat over time.

Back