Holding Issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey59

Has Hedgehog Disease
:facepalm: Alright, so I have been having issues with handling Pompeii. Its not that I can't handle him, it is when I do, he always licks me. I wash my hands before every time I hold him, but I guess my body soap, regular, and newly opened soap all smell yummy. I have never been bit, but I don't plan to. Is there any way I can get him to stop licking me without buying non-scented soap? It's not a big deal to buy, its just my mom already has much to buy for him and I don't want it keep adding up. Is there any 'free' solution? :wacko:​

Also - one more question I have -

I got my hedgie, Pompeii, on Tuesday. I am trying to do my best for him! So when he runs around and poops, they somewhat large. The wheel is always dirty and normal (I can't tell b/c it always gets smushed down). But while I play with him his poop is really big, about nickel length. I don't know whether it is normal for that size. Also it is not green at all. When my mom and I were watching him and he went, she said "Maybe he is constipated." Should I give him unseasoned canned pumpkin that I read for it, or just let it be because he is still stressed about moving homes?

P.S. He was born 10/22/13 so he about 7 weeks old.

Hahaha... that takes me back to when Satin was a wee baby... same age as your baby. I'd had guinea pigs before and was expecting to see poops maybe a bit bigger and more damp since she eats more than veggies like the pigs. There I am playing with her... and out comes this LOG! So, yes, a poop the length of a nickel is normal. Some poops can be measured in cm... like 2 - 4cm easily.

Is she just licking? Or licking an anointing? Or licking and chomping?

So far, he has only anointed in my presence when he grabbed my camera cord. Besides that, he has not anointed at all.

Pompeii is 'cutely' liking me. If I didn't know, I would think he would be showing affection. But id do know better. He just sticks his tongue out and licks me like he is drinking water. I am not sweaty, just good smelling :cute: He is not chomping or biting. Almost like a dog licking you. I just have difficulty handling him before he is always, 'mhhhmmm you smell delicious!'

P.S. Is it okay if I give him a foot bath in Larry's wheel pan? Just fill it 1/4 to 1/2 of the way? His right back foot has poopy on it and it wouldn't come off with a paper towel.

Last edited:
I figure if he's licking without biting, I'd let him.

Yes, about 1cm or less of warm (not hot) water should help loosen the poopboot. Let him dry completely in a towel afterwards.

Thank you. I will not move my hand to see if he bites. If he does... We will just have to see and find out.

The foot bath last night went horrible. I let him walk around in it until he started to whimper. So I took him out, dried his feet, then let him in his cage for the night. He went straight to the litter box and pooped green. I felt terrible. Is there any way I can give him a unstressful foot bath? What will happen when he needs a full bath?

You can minimize stress with footbaths by putting down a washcloth so he has something to grip. Then only use enough warm water to just barely submerge the washcloth. You can keep a hand in at all times to reassure him.

Back