Chester the anti-establishment hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumpa4718

I am Chester the hedgehog. I read the hedgehog rule book and am determined to break them all!!

Mealworms....Pa-leaze! Get those things away from me, NOW! Sometimes I curl up when one is near me and spear it with my "bangs".

Fleece...Boring and deserving of frequent poops. I want to push shavings around and burrow in them. I like to make a soft puffy bed from the paper bedding. No wood allowed.

Expensive kitty food....Please get me new flavors every few weeks. And don't try mixing it with my old flavors. I'm not stupid. And add some baby food too. I like to be pampered.

Eggs, Fruit and veggies...You can have them. I'm a meat man!

Sit on my moms lap while she watches t.v. before it's time for me to wake up?...I will pop, huff and chew her shirt if she tries to touch me before 11pm. She has to go to bed and then get back up in a couple of hours to spend time with me. I'm not a snuggler. I'm an explorer. I love running around on my tallest legs and looking in corners and on low shelves.

I had to give in and attack and eat that yummy cricket mom bought for me, even though I wanted to snub it like I do the mealies, but it was so chewy and delicious. My mom thought it was disgusting when I ate all the guts out of it and left the legs and head on the carpet. Hahaha.

Mom took me outside in the sunshine today. She woke me up to clean my awesome cage. I was mad at first, but it was so awesome in the grass and dirt. I had my quills totally smooth for the first time since I got here. I even sat on mom's feet because at first I was a bit nervous. We better do this again. It was the most amazing thing I have ever done in my 12 week life.

I am trying not to love my mom. I huff and puff and quill all up. I even bite her hands sometimes, but she never stops loving me. She even holds me if when I nip at her. That's no fun, so I stop. We touch noses every night before she puts me away for the night...because she thinks it's cute. Sometimes I throw her a bone and let her see that she isn't all that bad. In fact, I might be starting to like her just a little :)

I love that story/list you wrote! And he is adorable!!!

What is that thing you were talking about how you pick him up when he bits? Just a 'little' curious...

he is starting to bite me on occasion when I pick him up. I will not put him down when he does that. I try to just get fingers out of the way. he stops. I guess he gives up. I don't want him to think biting is the answer to wanting out if my hands.
he is a character. he's quite comical. we are just getting through the initial bonding stage but I see progress!

He is so cute! Garnet won't eat mealworms either. The first time I tried to give her one she ran away from it.

I just noticed Garnet's name. I lol'd for real!! I bought some crickets. Not freeze dried, but dead all the same since Chester is in a wire cage....don't want those hopping around. They are moist and very fresh...and disgusting. He loves those. He is still anti mealie.

I'm glad it entertained you :) Garnet isn't very pokey actually, but Sonic is, so by extension they both have the same last name. I haven't tried 'fresh' crickets yet. Sonic had the canned crickets and hated them. She ate the legs and nothing else.

I don't use crickets for insectivores. They are dirty insects often raised in high moisture environments on corn products which can grow toxic invisible fungus that they ingest. Many animals were killed a few years back and crickets are no longer suggested on boards like the sugar glider ones.

I turned to crickets because no other insect seemed to be good enough for my boy, but he liked these gross things. I know he needs something besides kibble, but isn't very cooperative with my choices.

Back