What one chin can do to another<GRAPHIC pics>

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to update everyone on Spooky's condition.

A week and a half after he was injured Spooky's main wounds on his scalp and the back of his neck became infected. I also found that he had a bite on the tip of his penis and the pain and swelling were keeping his penis from retracting into the sheath. I cleaned his wound and cut away necrotic tissue then applied more antibiotic. I also cleaned and moistened his penis. He was able to retract it so that only the tip was hanging out. I put him onto fabric bedding and continued to clean his wounds twice a day. After five days of this regimen his penis healed and is fully back to normal!

His wounds two weeks after the attack.
IMG_1234.jpg

His wounds as of two days ago.
IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

The bleeding is a good sign. If it were not bleeding I would worry about the tissue being able to fully heal. Healthy tissue bleeds so that it can coagulate and form scabs.

"Where's my head???"
IMG_1346.jpg

Aww. The last picture of him just makes me want to give him kisses. The wound definitely looks smaller, which is great. If all goes smoothly and you get no more infection, how long do you think something like that would take to heal completely?

He shouldn't take more than two weeks to heal up now. Sometimes they get a tiny scab that hangs on FOREVER, but the whole giant wound usually only takes two to four weeks to fully heal. Since the infection is gone he's had about two weeks to heal it, so two more and he should be good.

On average when I get wounds like this and keep on the cleaning very strongly in the beginning, they don't get infected and are fully healed in two weeks. If they get infected (some are more susceptible than others I've noticed) it can take up to 8 weeks to fully heal. The hair growing back is another story.

ETA: Tiff, you should get some pictures of Eclipse! It's always nice to share success stories and I'm sure she's more healed than Spooky! I'm actually curious to see how she healed up, because I know he got close to her eye unlike Spooky's perfectly centered scoop.

Last edited:
Poor Spooky :( Luckily, Essence's wounds were superficial other than one small deep laceration. After her wounds began to heal, I noticed that the skin/tissue had died and I ended up having to completely scalp her to allow the wound to heal. Her fur is now growing back in, but she looks like Spooky, de-brained.

I meant "Essence" not "Eclipse"! All those "E" names...getting me confuzzled. :laughitup:

LOL.. It's ok.

Her eye was affected, sadly. The eyeball itself seems healthy, but the position of it has changed. It looks as if the eyeball has sank into the socket a bit. The top of the eyelid was damaged and it is harder for her to close her eye and blink properly. I've used a bit of antibiotic drops and then I just switched to saline to make sure she's getting the proper amount of tears. It doesn't seem to bother her now and at first I thought she had went blind, as the eye had filmed over after some time, but she's still responding to movements through that eye and everything looks better. Antibiotics seemed to have done the trick so far.

I think she looks great though considering how bad she looked in the beginning. He ripped her fur out of her back also, but it's also coming back in nicely. She had dropped a bit of weight after the incident, but she's gaining it back rapidly.

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

Awww...I'm so happy to see both babies are doing better. Spooky's ears look HUGE with all that fur missing! Give both babies kisses from me.

My chin got hurt like those pics. I blu koted him once about a week ago. Then the fur on the wound just pieled off. But, the wound is still not completely dry. It is not infected. Should I keep blu koting him?

Blue kote helps with the initial wound and keeping that wound from becoming infected. It's a good idea to apply tea tree oil or neosporin(if it's a wound they can't reach to ingest the neosporin) as these are antibiotic treatments that also help speed healing. I prefer tea tree oil in most cases but I have a severe contact dermatitis to it so I avoid it where I can.

Tea tree oil can be found at most stores near vitamin E oil. I can get mine at Walmart or Target in the beauty section.

wow

Thank you to good breeders with knowledge and experience! I'm sooo sorry that your baby got hurt, but thankful that you knew how to handle it!

I have way too many experiences just like that......and I have had two chinchillas lose limbs(nasty-one I took to the vet to get amputated and the other lost its circulation to its limb and it healed fine). I also had a dominant girl chinchilla in a colony cage and she had 3 chinchillas that she hated. One, was Jada who had her leg amputated, another was Gracie whom she tore up so bad I didn't know if she would live, and the last one was Macy, whom she didn't tear up quite as bad as Gracie. Sorry for Gracie, but she looked like a rat with all the wounds/baldness on her head and body.
Terrible things can happen and chinchillas can turn on each other. Most can be buddies for life!

Back