Plane travel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lea

I was wondering if you could give any advice on traveling with chins... we currently live in florida and are moving to japan. We are flying to Oregon, will be there 9 days then flying to japan. The flight to japan our chin will have to be flown with a pet relocation service because the military flight wont accept him on the flight. The flight will be 15 hours, in cargo, will that be too much stress for him? I want him with us, but want what's best for him.

I have gotten enough information now that I have found he will be safe, but now I am being told by a pet repocation service that you cannot privately import chinchillas into Japan- but that is conflicting with other information I have found online.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I found this...

Which linked to this...

Which says this:

Strict regulations on importing of "Rodents",
such as Hamsters and Squirrels.

Hamsters, Guinea pigs, Squirrels and Chinchillas are
classified as “Rodents”.

Importing “Rodents” are enforced because “Rodents”
are known to have a lot of serious infectious diseases
that can be harmful to humans.

For rodents, the health certificate must verify that the
animal was kept since birth in a storage establishment
recognized by the government authorities. Rodents
raised at home will not be regarded as a recognized
storage establishment.

Importing rodent pets raised overseas or purchased
from overseas pet shops are subject to these
regulations. As health certificates issued by government
authorities may be difficult to obtain for such animals, in
general, these animals cannot be imported to Japan.

There are a few numbers in that PDF for the Quarantine Stations. I'd call them for info.

I saw that as well, but I don't understand why it says in the importing numbers that chins have been imported.

Also AQS told me to contact the ones in the link you posted, but I cannot find an American number I can call to get info

It doesn't specify that they were pets, so they may have been research animals. If they WERE pets, they could have been owned by military families. I suspect living on a base might qualify as "a storage establishment recognized by the government authorities." I'm just speculating though.

A lot of people in Japan speak English from what I understand. I would just call the Japanese number and ask for an English translator. Sorry for the delay. I'm not on here much anymore.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for all your help, it's really great everyone on here is so willing to help a stranger. Unfortunately, after working with multiple pet relocation services who then used their contacts in Japan, I am being told it is not do-able. Very sad day for our fur baby family.

Back